Hoarding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoarding is what causes shortages. We are seeing gasoline hoarding down here in Florida. Some stations have run out of gas, but the reason they run out is from people bringing 15 gas cans and filling them up. If everyone didn't panic and just fueled up like normal, we would not have this problem.

quote:

Originally posted by Pick:
Hoarding is what causes shortages. We are seeing gasoline hoarding down here in Florida. Some stations have run out of gas, but the reason they run out is from people bringing 15 gas cans and filling them up. If everyone didn't panic and just fueled up like normal, we would not have this problem.

"Hoarding" may be an aggravating factor, but it is not the "cause" of shortages. The fact that our petro supply line has been struck a serious, partially disabling blow by a major hurricane would, IMO be the primary cause.

And how do you define "hoarding" and when is it bad? I have ~40 gallons on hand, ALL purchased when availability was not an issue. If anything, my extra supply of gas is keeping me out of the gas lines and reducing the competition for what fuel there is.

As usual, the problem is more complex than just slapping labels on certain groups and casting them as villians.

quote:

Yup, I filled up my vehicles Monday 50 cents cheaper. All the 5 gallon cans are gone from Walmart and the auto stores here. I figure early next week gas will come back down just slightly as people start using whats in their gas cans
grin.gif

I have to agree with Ekpolk. I have a LOT of people depending on me and my ability to be mobile. It's not simply a matter of convenience as in running down to the local mom and pop store for a gallon of milk. The people that depend on me are elderly and ill. I simply can't afford the option of not being able to move at any given point in time. I have less that 20 gallons in the shed. And yet, when I went on my drive today, I couldn't count the number of SUV's pulling boats or travel trailers or trailers with ATV's. None of them, I might add, were headed to New Orleans as they were all driving SOUTH!

I don't see that hoarding is a significant issue in the supply chain, anymore than cracking the strategic reserves.

Update from near ground zero: the problems we're having here definitely are not about someone putting a few extra gallons into a gas can. Stations that usually get deliveries on demand can't even reach their suppliers, and are not getting word on when they will get another shipment. Here's an article from the Pensacola News Journal on the topic: News Journal Article

And check out this rundown of local stations. Look how many are still completely dry (nevermind lines...): Pensacola Gas Station Status List

This is beginning to get a little scary.

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:

quote:

"Hoarding" may be an aggravating factor, but it is not the "cause" of shortages. The fact that our petro supply line has been struck a serious, partially disabling blow by a major hurricane would, IMO be the primary cause.

And how do you define "hoarding" and when is it bad? I have ~40 gallons on hand, ALL purchased when availability was not an issue. If anything, my extra supply of gas is keeping me out of the gas lines and reducing the competition for what fuel there is.

As usual, the problem is more complex than just slapping labels on certain groups and casting them as villians.

It is smart to have some extra gas ,food guns,ammo.

quote:

I figure early next week gas will come back down just slightly as people start using whats in their gas cans
grin.gif

Ye-ep. I have enough to last into next week. I got two of the three filled up at the $2.53 price ..and one at the $2.85 price and missed the $3.25 gouge. I figure it should be more stable by the middle of next week ..maybe the end
dunno.gif
I won't be buying gas on some preemptive notion that I'm not going to be able to get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back