HOA Against Classic Truck owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
A coworker of mine just had a house built in a neighborhood with an HOA, already having problems. Not worth it to me.

When I wanted a more modern house 4 years ago, when a suitable one came up for sale, if it had a HOA, I IMMEDIATELY looked elsewhere. I found what we wanted with no HOA, and only a few covenants that had already been broken by others which threw out all of them anyway. It is a very nice newer neighborhood.

I will never live in an HOA. It could be the perfect house, everything my wife and I want, but if it's in an HOA, no deal.

"Classic" is in the eye of the beholder.
While I'm no fan of HOAs, this guy knowingly purchased a home with significant covenants and restrictions. He also made the choice to purchase a questionable vehicle and plop it onto the driveway. It's also clear that he's egging the HOA on, he could just park one of the other vehicles outside and park the truck in the garage.

We don't have an HOA with any restrictions here (just a $35 annual fee for mowing the divided roadway into the sub division, upkeep of the sign, and the annual "know your neighbors" street party). He made the choice to buy a home knowing full well the HOA restrictions and covenants, and what would happen if he broke the restrictions. If he's very, very lucky he'll get a sympathetic judge who will rule in his favor. But I don't feel any sympathy for him. His choices have consequences.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
While I'm no fan of HOAs, this guy knowingly purchased a home with significant covenants and restrictions. He also made the choice to purchase a questionable vehicle and plop it onto the driveway. It's also clear that he's egging the HOA on, he could just park one of the other vehicles outside and park the truck in the garage.

We don't have an HOA with any restrictions here (just a $35 annual fee for mowing the divided roadway into the sub division, upkeep of the sign, and the annual "know your neighbors" street party). He made the choice to buy a home knowing full well the HOA restrictions and covenants, and what would happen if he broke the restrictions. If he's very, very lucky he'll get a sympathetic judge who will rule in his favor. But I don't feel any sympathy for him. His choices have consequences.

Indeed. Zero empathy for a blowhard that's too self-entitled to bother adhering to /becoming acquainted with CC&R's. The reality is that the vast majority of individuals who have problems with their HOA are just hats.

Last edited:
If the guy has a decent lawyer then he should win as the bylaws clearly state "body damage" and his is just the paints finish, not damage. The other parts are flat tires, not operable, etc... so those don't apply either.

BUT the HOA will make his life a living [censored] after this and probably change the rules when they lose.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by Fawteen

Indeed. Zero empathy for a blowhard that's too self-entitled to bother adhering to /becoming acquainted with CC&R's. The reality is that the vast majority of individuals who have problems with their HOA are just hats.

The vast majority of people who support HOA bylaws are shelf rightous hats who have so much self worth they are worried about matters which are not their business.

If it's truly a classic, wouldn't he want to protect it from weather in the garage?

Some places don't allow any pickup truck with an open bed to be kept outside. That's a lot less ambiguous than this "body damage" thing.

I can understand why HOA's exist. I wouldn't want to live next door to a dump of a house.

Which is why I live in an area where people take pride in their property, without the need for a busy-body HOA to tell them how to live. You can't even see my house from the road, just a fence and a gate.

OTOH, I have little sympathy for a guy that knowingly bought a house in an HOA, and then is surprised when they try to tell him how to live...

dave1251 The vast majority of people who support HOA bylaws are shelf rightous hats who have so much self worth they are worried about matters which are not their business.[/quote said:
Or, are folks who want to live in a nice neighborhood, that will hopefully preserve home values by staying nice and well maintained..... It is in everyone's interest to maintain the neighborhood to an acceptable standard. I do find HoA's cumbersome (I made sure I could add a barn to our property...they got the say on design), but I have limited sympathy for folks who buy in then chafe at the regs...

Originally Posted by mk378
If it's truly a classic, wouldn't he want to protect it from weather in the garage?
Some places don't allow any pickup truck with an open bed to be kept outside. That's a lot less ambiguous than this "body damage" thing.

This was the case where I grew up...late in his life, my father was really taken with the idea of buying a pickup just for fun and was even talking to former coworkers about a used one that his former workplace was going to sell.
However, his town didn't allow "work vehicles" to be parked in driveways on a daily basis and there was no way any reasonable pickup was going to fit in his tiny garage.
Dad even thought about having part of his fence torn down and a concrete pad poured in his backyard for parking the truck...in the end, he never did get a pickup.
Funny thing was that a neighbor parked a coffee service truck or van on the street nearby for years...don't know if that was OK or he was just ignoring the rules. I did notice back then that he moved that thing around on the street constantly, even when he wasn't working, so maybe that was just so he could say it wasn't being left in one spot for long?

As I said before, I have no love for HOAs, and I have 3 classic / antique vehicles. A 65 mustang, a 64 Ranchero, and a 29 Ford. All of which have good paint, and are kept inside mostly. I personally don't care for the patina look, but I do know that it is popular now. And since the hoa rules state no body DAMAGE, and do not mention paint condition, I don't see how they have a case. He may well have known all the rules, and since by the letter of the rule his truck should be ok, he figured no problem.

I never understood the appeal of the rundown beater look, aka "patina," but on the other hand, most people on the hoa seem to be retired folks with nothing better to do but go on a power trip telling others what to do. Only the lawyers make out well in these cases.

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
Or, are folks who want to live in a nice neighborhood, that will hopefully preserve home values by staying nice and well maintained..... It is in everyone's interest to maintain the neighborhood to an acceptable standard.

This mindset I disagree with entirely. My business is my home, my yard, my property. My neighbor's business is his home, his yard, his property. I couldn't care less what he does. I firmly believe in private ownership and being able to do whatever you want on the property that you own. If he wants to erect a 30 ft tall steel flamingo in his front yard, power to him. I have no right to tell my neighbor how to maintain his property and he has no right to tell me how to upkeep mine.

Property values? If I plan to live in that house the rest of my life, why do I care about some arbitrary "value"? In this case, higher property value just means higher taxes.

Originally Posted by wings&wheels

Or, are folks who want to live in a nice neighborhood, that will hopefully preserve home values by staying nice and well maintained....

True Home values only match income and inflation

Home values VRS "How nice" things are
become meaningless when employment is high,
And equally meaningless when employment collapses

The real issue lies with banking and loans enabling sellers to overcharge and buyers to overpay, where I grew up housing has gained value EXTREMELY slowly and houses sell for the same price today that they did 20 years ago, which is how housing values should work matching income and inflation, 100 miles away where I live now little 100 year old dives with no yard or driveway are selling for $100000+, 3 years ago their sales value was about $20-$40k, 8 years before that they were $80k, 3 years before that they sold for about $25,000
30 minutes away I can buy a mansion of a farmstead with 2 acres, a gazebo and a shop is $165,000 in excellent shape, but the same money here buys me a very small 3 bedroom, 1 car garage and ubout a 1/10th acre in at best ship shod flipper "good" condition that lasts 3 years before the interior cracks show.

The only thing that has changed over the years is the transient employment levels. Whereas my home town has steady but not well paying jobs.

The regulated neighborhood maintaining home values idea is a myth, how "nice" things are move with employment and it's not our place to judge others property.

The real value of these local homes has always probably been $0-$40,000 and hasn't changed but because of loans and predatory practices you get a completely unnecessary boom bust cycle aggrevated even more by [censored] poor community management practices trying to demolish the poor people's homes (during a lack of housing crisis) creating vacant lots that can't be rebuilt due to ever changing laws on lot and house sizes.
The town also favors tax sales to the 2 slum lords who own about 1/3 of houses jacking up rent while creating more blight.

One would think keeping the poor people as home owners paying taxes would be better than 2 slum lords that can negotiate property taxes. Further allowing people to legally rebuild vacant city lots without blowing a cool million would help things too.

The HOA neighborhood nearby makes me think of [censored], no cars driving no people outside, no kids, no lawns getting mowed, no lights on in houses, no flowers, no bushes, every house the same color in 1 of 4 orientations, silent, no birds, no dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back