HM Oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've genuinely curious as to everyone's thoughts on HM oils. Seems to me that MaxLife is the champion of these oils and is well priced. Also, it seems like it has a good dose of Phos and Zinc.

Are they really necessary? Are they also a good choice for cars with fewer miles, if just to take advantage of a nice add pack and keep things clean?

Interested to hear your thoughts!

Any SM rated oil changed on time per the manual will keep things clean. Mazda3's are pretty easy on the oil. The only problem I know is the fuel dilution with that engine.

I really liked the maxlife in my truck but if the add pack is no different, I would recommend a HDEO for a beffier add pack.

I guess i should first ask: What kind of vehicle are you inquiring about using a HM oil for?

Originally Posted By: deven
Any SM rated oil changed on time per the manual will keep things clean. Mazda3's are pretty easy on the oil. The only problem I know is the fuel dilution with that engine.

Which is why I may go back to PP or a blend of Formula Shell and Rotella Syn.

If it wasn't for the utterly frigid winter temps we get up here. My 2.3L would live off of motorcraft blend year round. I feel my fusion ran its quietest on the MC blend. From what I have read here is that it has a nice add pack and is very well priced at wally world.
If you are really concerned about fuel dilution the word here is RLI BioSyn is the way to go.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
I've genuinely curious as to everyone's thoughts on HM oils. Seems to me that MaxLife is the champion of these oils and is well priced. Also, it seems like it has a good dose of Phos and Zinc.

Are they really necessary? Are they also a good choice for cars with fewer miles, if just to take advantage of a nice add pack and keep things clean?

MaxLife synthetic blend has the ZDDP level of SM, GF-4, in both 5W and 10W-30. However, the ZDDP add pack is of higher endurance than most ZDDP packs and will probably be in all GF-5 oils. It meets all the GF-4 protection requirements but not the energy conserving specks. The big difference from a regular or syn blend oil is in the base oil and the add pack. The 10W-30 MaxLife blend has a HTHS of 3.3. It has a 100C cSt of 11.7. It is a low SA oil with 1910 calcium and 490 sodium for excellent detergents. It has a moly content of 300.

The full synthetic MaxLife has a HTHS of 3.6, it actually meets ACEA A3 specks.

Mobil 1 HM 10W-30 has a HTHS of 3.66, 100C cSt of 11.79, and 1000 ZDDP. It has extra boron, extra moly, and extra antioxidants.

Valvoline MaxLife blend, MaxLife full synthetic and Mobil 1 HM are rather heavy duty 30 grade oils with excellent add packs.

I like the add pack and the ZDDP used in the MaxLife oils but Mobil 1 has a primary PAO base, and both Valvoline oils have primarily the hydro-cracked heavy paraffin base oils(II/III blend and III.) Both Valvoline oils are SM and the Mobil 1 HM is SL.

Valvoline and Mobil both say it is perfectly acceptable to use their HM oils in new engines. Valvoline even warrants their oil for use in new engines. I know, comparatively, lots of folk that use MaxLife full synthetic 10W-30 in new vehicles.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81

When comparing brands, also compare the base oil -- along with the add-packs. Sometimes add-packs are beefed up to compensate for the base oils. This is especially true of some base oils coming from places like Korea.

Ashland (Valvoline) does use a varying percentage of Korean base oils in some of their labels / weights.

In my opinion, Pennzoil HM is Top-Dog. Best combination of base oil and add-pack.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back