HM oil for low milage Truck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 84 Toyota PU (22R) with 45K on the clock from new, the engine runs fine, but uses about 1 quart every 3k.
I have been using Rotella 15w-40 at 3k OCI's and I've run Auto Rx as per instructions, with no difference what so ever.
Do you think using a HM oil like Valvoline Max life could improve my oil usage?
I have no visible leaks and have not seen any blue smoke.

That is not horrible oil use.
Sure, it's a little high.
But consider that in the USA it is a candidate for antique license plates [25 yrs.].

I have an 86 with the 22R and it has 301,000 miles on it. It doesn't leak, seep, or burn oil, no use between OCI. It has had 50 grade full synthetic since 20,000 miles.

The Rotella 15W-40 has a very good reputation. Good VI spread, good 100C cSt. However, I would not hesitate to use MaxLife 10W-40 or Mobil 1 10W-40 HM. I would also give serious consideration to Mobil 1 15W-50. That is what I use in my 22R.

I would definitely give it a shot. Ive heard good things about both, M1 being a more robust A3 oil, ML being an A1, IIRC.

MaxLife is a synthetic blend (or is a full synthetic, if you're lucky enough to find it). I've never seen the full synthetic version.

I've been using it an a 2000 Grand Am 4 cylinder, and am very happy with it.

I prefer the MaxLife over the Pennzoil High Mileage since MaxLife is a synthetic blend. MaxLife is a well blended, robust oil.

My old Volvo 850 was using about a quart every 1000 miles.

I switched to M1 10w40HM and it hasn't moved from the full line in months.

Napa HM is nearly identical to Maxlife. I get the same performance and MPG from it as I did when I used Maxlife. Napa HM is always about $2.50 less per quart. My truck *might* burn half a cup of oil over a 3000 mile OCI. I am very satisfied with the Napa brand oil, which is made by Ashland/Valvoline. I don't know if they make a 15W40 grade though. Come to think of it I don't recall seeing Maxlife 15W40 either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back