HM Oil for 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I did a Google search to learn what I already knew from 50 years of turning wrenches. Gaskets wear out (leak) from age (dry out), heat cycles (become brittle) and sludge or aged oil (acids reacting and attacking the gasket material). After 5 pages of Google search I quit. The only mention of oil was a reference to the synthetics of early years. Seals pretty much follow the same pattern. Once a gasket starts to go, there is no turning back. Seals are a little easier to deal with and can, sometimes, be rejuvenated. In my experience gaskets must be replaced once they leak. I have, personally, had luck using HM oil to slow or stop a seal leak but I have NEVER had it make an oil leak worse.

My mother has a 2008 Grand Caravan with the 4.0 and while we've always been good about changing the oil and with good oils, Valvoline SYNPower, Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra Platinum and Mobil1, it still seems to burn oil. I do hotshot haul work and also work as an independent AMSOIL Dealer, so after having good results with running amsoil in my truck I started switching all my vehicles over, at which point I decided to become an independent dealer, including her van. First we ran XL 10w30 and it seemed to have burned 2 quarts during the span off 12k miles, which was a little less than before at about 1-1.5qts at 5k miles. The current fill is 10w30 Sig Series and it seems to be holding at the current usage rate, maybe a half quart less, but she hasn't put enough miles on it yet for me to say for certain. That being said i do believe other oils could have maybe slowed the consumption rate but amsoil has really worked for me and my family. I've also ran a tank of the P.I Improver and we did the Engine flush before we swapped to the signature series so any 3 of those could account to the decrease in consumption or none of them. Just my personal experience so take it with a grain of salt.

Originally Posted by BigShug681
My mother has a 2008 Grand Caravan with the 4.0 and while we've always been good about changing the oil and with good oils, Valvoline SYNPower, Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra Platinum and Mobil1, it still seems to burn oil. I do hotshot haul work and also work as an independent AMSOIL Dealer, so after having good results with running amsoil in my truck I started switching all my vehicles over, at which point I decided to become an independent dealer, including her van. First we ran XL 10w30 and it seemed to have burned 2 quarts during the span off 12k miles, which was a little less than before at about 1-1.5qts at 5k miles. The current fill is 10w30 Sig Series and it seems to be holding at the current usage rate, maybe a half quart less, but she hasn't put enough miles on it yet for me to say for certain. That being said i do believe other oils could have maybe slowed the consumption rate but amsoil has really worked for me and my family. I've also ran a tank of the P.I Improver and we did the Engine flush before we swapped to the signature series so any 3 of those could account to the decrease in consumption or none of them. Just my personal experience so take it with a grain of salt.

My Santa Fe run on Amsoil the majority of its life burned no oil measurable on the dipstick at 300K miles (535,000km) which is impressive for any vehicle let alone one of the earlier Korean engines and the 2.7L was not easy on oil whatsoever. Whatever is in their formula works well for burn-off.

That said my dad's PentaStar running on dino oil its whole life doesn't consume any oil either and it has over 300K KM (180K miles) on it currently, so some engine designs are just really good whereas others rely more heavily on the lubricant to resist consumption.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by BigShug681

My Santa Fe run on Amsoil the majority of its life burned no oil measurable on the dipstick at 300K miles (535,000km) which is impressive for any vehicle let alone one of the earlier Korean engines and the 2.7L was not easy on oil whatsoever. Whatever is in their formula works well for burn-off.

That said my dad's PentaStar running on dino oil its whole life doesn't consume any oil either and it has over 300K KM (180K miles) on it currently, so some engine designs are just really good whereas others rely more heavily on the lubricant to resist consumption.

I want to say that the slowly decreasing consumption rate is entirely do to the oil but I can't 100% say that. I do think they make some extremely awesome products.

When I bought this van I used Signature Series Amsoil the first year or so but since it was burning oil, i switched to Mobil1 because it was about $20 cheaper per oil change and Amsoil was just too nice to waste like that.

Originally Posted by diyjake
When I bought this van I used Signature Series Amsoil the first year or so but since it was burning oil, i switched to Mobil1 because it was about $20 cheaper per oil change and Amsoil was just too nice to waste like that.

I definitely understand that, I'd at least use the OE series in it just because I like it, like I said I'm not sure if it was just the oil that has been alleviating my symptoms or if maybe the PI Improver cleaned some carbon off the rings or vice versa the engine flush

I love Amsoil products and use them but I think if you are using Amsoil either use their top of the line and use them for that they were intended for or you are just wasting money. I can get 5 quarts of Mobil1 Extended Performance, Pennzoil Platinum or other quality oils about $10 cheaper than Amsoil OE and I don't think the OE or XL line is any better than Mobil1 EP or Pennzoil Platinum, I know they are great products but not better and not worth the extra cost and time to go get them.

Amsoil SS line is a totally different story.

This is of course is my 2 cents and only my opinion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back