HM M1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just wondering is ther a real benefit of running a hight milage syn. I was thinking maybe the new M1 5w30 or 10w30 but they dont have the energy star burst would I loose any power/fuel milage with it vs a dino 5w30 or syn 5w30

Very good syn oils and I use them in a few of my older muscle cars. You can also use them in newer cars. The 10W30 and 10W40 have 1000ppm of zinc which is higher then many other oils.

Last edited:
Fine fine oil's,can be used in just about any vehicle,new or used,i like using them because of the boosted additives they have(benefit).

Originally Posted By: crazycrak
im still kinda new with all this whats the zinc do?

Zinc is a anti-wear additive.

I don't dispute that there are engines that can benefit from the HM oils, M1 and otherwise. That said, I ran my late great 88 Civic almost its whole life, ten years and over 150k miles, on the then-standard M1 5w-30 (I tried 10w-30 once or twice), and never had any problem at all.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
What`s the ZDDP level in the M1 15W50 silver cap?

1300 ppm
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: opposite_locker
Really? I didn't think it could have that much zinc now that it conforms to SM...

In so many words it doesn't apply to the 15w50

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
How about the moly level in the Mobil 1 HM oils?

it ranges from 88 to 93 for the 10w30 and 40
how are they about controlling leaks do the actually restore seals? or is that just a sales pitch

there's some truth,they have seal additives added and esters base oil's to help, they wont stop a bad leak but i've have small weeps stoped sure.

how are they about controlling leaks do the actually restore seals? or is that just a sales pitch

Erm...
No one is even sure that the oil has more seal conditioners. Folks have asked Mobil point blank, and received only the standard corporate bee ess.

OTOH, there are several testimonials floating around here suggesting that M1 (and other MH oils) actually can reduce seal leakage.

My own experience, with a leaky distributor seal, has been mixed. Since switching to M1HM 10W30, the seepage has slowed somewhat, but is far from cured. YMMV!

It can't hurt to try it, there's no way it will hurt the car.

In addition to the Zinc and Moly, both flavors of M1HM have a big swig of Boron, presumably integrated into an anti-wear additive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back