HM high moly&boron oil

Does anyone know of a high mileage oil that is high in molybdenum and boron?

Pennzoil High Mileage:

Thank you for contacting Shell Technical.

Pennzoil High Mileage 10W-30 Motor Oil has a maximum molybdenum level of 0.025% or 250 ppm.
Hope this helps.

Havoline just came out with a High Mileage in the Pro DS flavor, but I have as yet to find it anywhere. It might be one to keep an eye out for along these lines and a VOA.

I’ve tried checking pqia. Havoline and QS HM variants seem to be the closest to what I’m looking for. Motorcraft API SP is the highest I’ve found but it’s not HM. I was just wondering maybe someone on here might know of an oil that pqia hasn’t checked.

@bbhero I wasn’t trying it prove you right/wrong, just sharing info and I agree havoline is a good option.

Oils with high moly/boron seem to quite down valve ticking considerably on my Honda engine.

I’ve tried checking pqia. Havoline and QS HM variants seem to be the closest to what I’m looking for. Motorcraft API SP is the highest I’ve found but it’s not HM. I was just wondering maybe someone on here might know of an oil that pqia hasn’t checked.

@bbhero I wasn’t trying it prove you right/wrong, just sharing info and I agree havoline is a good option.

Oils with high moly/boron seem to quite down valve ticking considerably on my Honda engine.
QSUD and PPHM run smooth and silent in my Accord. Granted those are the only ones I've used. Edge HM and M1 EPHM have been on my list of oils to try.

QSUD and PPHM run smooth and silent in my Accord. Granted those are the only ones I've used. Edge HM and M1 EPHM have been on my list of oils to try.
QSUD definitely quieted down my TL also. A high mileage version of QSUD would be perfect. Unfortunately seems like the HM options are all blends.

I might give PPHM a try then. Would you say PPHM is on par with QSUD? PQIA has PPHM SN Plus 0w20 listed at 71 moly. Wonder if it’s the other kind of moly though that doesn’t require the higher amounts of moly that say is found in QSUD. Boron is high in the 200s with PPHM.

Last edited:
What oil grade are you running ? If it’s a 20 grade and you can’t find a HM oil you are happy with, then step it up to a 30 grade of the non-HM oil you like the look of.

What oil grade are you running ? If it’s a 20 grade and you can’t find a HM oil you are happy with, then step it up to a 30 grade of the non-HM oil you like the look of.

The car calls for 5w20 but I usually run 5w30.

The car calls for 5w20 but I usually run 5w30.
No worries, since you have already stepped it up a grade, and are chasing smooth and quiet, have you tried Castrol Magnatec 5W30 ? Lot of success reported with this oil, this just in from the oil change thread from @jtaylor2005

Peugeot 306 2l HDI Diesel
Oil Out - Shell Helix Ultra 5w40
Oil In - Castrol Magnatec Professional 5w40 (A3)

Filter Out - Mann
Filter In - Mahle

Have to say, very impressed. Very quiet and smooth running engine now.

If you are chasing an oil leak, Valvoline MaxLife red bottle is well respected.

QSUD definitely quieted down my TL also. A high mileage version of QSUD would be perfect. Unfortunately seems like the HM options are all blends.

I might give PPHM a try then. Would you say PPHM is on par with QSUD? PQIA has PPHM SN Plus 0w20 listed at 71 moly. Wonder if it’s the other kind of moly though that doesn’t require the higher amounts of moly that say is found in QSUD. Boron is high in the 200s with PPHM.
Been using QSUD myself for the last 5 oil changes (3.5 Ecoboost seems to like it too), and I have seen the QSUD HM on the shelves at some Menards stores here in WI (although they were all SN Plus).

A high mileage version of QSUD would be perfect.
Looks like it is an option according to the QS site.

Screenshot 2021-02-04 152316.jpg

PPHM runs smoother and more quiet than QSUD. I've got a jug of PPHM 10W30 ready to go into my Accord as soon as I get it home from the body shop.

Back