HM 0w20 for Civic Hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.
We bought (acquired) an 07 Civic Hybrid with 140k miles. I have no prior experience with any Hondas. This car was was niece's for 12 yrs. I don't think it was "well cared-for" -- based on overall condition, and she was always away from home. I know it was quite low on oil once -- when my brother visited. It calls for 0w20. The oil change sticker was from a Napa Auto Care, said 0w20, and change in 138k. The current oil looks clean, and OLM is at 90%. The car won't be driven much until my daughter can drive it, and we perform some "conditioning & repairs". I drove it home 200 mi this weekend, and it tracks nice, and made 42.3 MPG. I believe there's a bad wheel hub/bearing in rear -- as there's a horrible roar coming from the rear. Assuming it uses some oil, what HM would you choose?

The reason: because it's dexos1 rated, and its cheap:
[Linked Image from i5.walmartimages.com]

Really doesn't matter - I would just use whatever is on sale.

The real issue on older hybrids is the battery. Do NOT allow the car to sit unused. Drive it as much as possible. It doesn't have to be far, but try to drive it daily. Or at the minimum, several times a week. If an older battery pack is allowed to sit unused, it can become unbalanced.

The battery packs on the Civic Hybrids from that era were not exactly reliable and a lot of them were replaced under the warranty extension. Check if yours was.

Thanks all. I'll browse, and see which 0w20 is on sale. I believe it only takes 3 qts. I'll probably go with Fram Tough Guard, or Napa Gold filter.

They did say the battery pack was replaced awhile back. I'm unsure when? It won't be driven much until my daughter has it in college (late next semester or next year). It's a bit beat up (dents, 1 steel wheel, etc.), and our other daily-drivers are quite new. It was almost given to us, so we couldn't pass it up. I don't want to drive it much until the rear noise is resolved (hub/bearing?).

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
It's oil capacity is 3.4 quarts.

Thanks -- I did see that in the manual last night. It's worded oddly. Total capacity = 4 qts, but .6 remain in the engine during a complete change of oil & filter?

Typically, you'll get 3.4 quarts out of the engine including the oil filter change out if the vehicle is parked on level ground. Since obviously most of us either jack up the vehicle or drive it up on ramps, you'll get approx 4 quarts out of the engine. I would do the oil and filter change and then refill with 3.4 quarts and then adjust up from there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back