Hit a raccoon tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aww ----, I hit a raccoon just a bit earlier tonight. I didn't hit it with the wheel, it just kinda thumped the underside of the car, it went straight under the middle of the car. It didn't die, it laid there stunned I guess for a few seconds, got up and staggered heavily across the road then laid down in some bushes in the ditch. I tried to see how badly it was injured but all I had was the light off of my cellphone and I didn't want to get too close to it in case it tried to attack me. I wouldn't be so bothered about it if it did die instantly, but it didn't and I feel pretty bad about it actually.

I sold my gun when I became a man at 21. And I bet a raccoon doesn't do the damage a kangaroo, wombat, or worst a camel does when run into on Aussie roads. Horses make a mess too.

Coming from Indiana on a 2AM drive to fill up, there's was once a 1 mile road (now stop lights), I was traveling at a good speed. Out of the brush a little white dog came out, I hit the brakes hard, the dog bounced along my floor-board as I passed over him. I looked in my mirror to see it get up and haul arse out the street. One OH S**T moment!
shocked.gif

Whitetail deer can do quite a number too! Think what happens is they usually come over the bumper, instead of under the car.

Craziest thing though, to attract deer to your hunting area you plant clover,,,,,,Soooo take a guess what the Arkansas Highway Dept. uses for quick coverage on new roadside?? Yep, clover!

Bob

I once cracked the windshield on my VW Rabbit by failing to slow down as a flock of buzzards (turkey vultures) took wing from their road kill breakfast. If they make it through the glass I understand they often then share their last meal with you. I now give them wide berth.

I have unfortunately a history of hitting birds. I've wiped out a whole fleet of crows, pigeons, blackbirds and sparrows when zipping down the Autobahn at 120 mph. I also had a near collision with a turkey vulture, but it pulled up at the last moment. The biggest mammal I've run over was a large (18 pounds?) hare. I've never hit a deer, although I've always lived where there were deer.

In the last 6 months i have hit a deer and 3 raccoons. Luckily the deer was dead when I hit it or it might have come through the windshield and killed me. One day I was riding my atv and I rode into a flock of seagulls (the bird not the band). One seagull flew straight ahead of me and I ran right into it with my chest. It struggled around for a bit before rolling off to the side and flying away.

Fortunately, I have not killed any animals while driving. I don't know how awful I would feel, especially if I killed a cat.

Ever lost in the woods, find and follow a armadillo,,,,he'll take you straight to a highway!
laugh.gif
'Dillers are really quite a trip, no matter how much clearance there is , when shadow and noise passes over them, they'll jump straight up and wipe out on underside of vehicle.

Bob

I hit a cat once in my moms car, it left a good size dent in the bumper, poor thing got up an ran away, im sure it didnt live too much longer after that.

Good !!! can't run over too many of those buggers, usually they get shot . Running over deer is bad for your car. The deer population is way too high in calif there needs to be a doe season big time. Bear too and mountain lion. I don't hunt though maybe I should.

I've only had a bird bounce off my car in California. Down in Costa Rica I hit a big (~3') iguana - the roads are way too scary to worry about avoiding that thing.

3' Iguana - that's gotta leave a mess!

I hit a flying duck at 70 mph on I-5 south. Hit the very top of the windshield. Fortunately this is a strong part of car and WS. (for the car that is). Duck, dead Duck. Me? I nearly soiled myself. I cannot imagine anything larger than a sparrow at 80 mph+. 120 mph? yiiiikkkkkes

Ouch! Duck!

Reminds me of the fighter video where the pilot took a canopy strike. Another vid shows a bird strike to the intake, causing the loss of a plane.

I think I would still be cleaning out my shorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back