Hit a bit of a milestone again

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 97 Camry went over 300K miles today. Although it serves as the daily beater, it's still a great car that we're willing to drive anywhere.

Last edited:
My 2001 Ranger, while not extremely high mileage at 151k but pretty old at 15 years, is very reliable, I'm very particular about maintaining it and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere. Too many people have the mindset that if a vehicle is old and has alot of miles that it can't be trusted. I, on the other hand disagree. My uncle has an '05 Dodge Cummins with 327k and I wouldn't hesitate to drive to Alaska in it.

Awesome man. My lady's Camry just rolled past 100k miles and its a 98. That is a great car just like yours. I'd drive that badboy up to Vermont and back without hesitation. Those late 90s Toyota's were built to last. My step father has just over 300k on his 96 Avalon.

A friend of the family got one of those new (maybe a '95 model) when they decided to start a family. I remember her driving around in it when expecting. I now see their son driving around in the same car, and the car still looks pretty good and gives them no problems.

Mine hit 218,000 today. So it's still a spring chicken.

I hope to hit 300,000 miles someday. I have no doubt my car can do it, I just don't know if I'll get the itch to buy a newer car until that day happens.

2.2L or 3.0L?

Originally Posted By: dareo
Golden age of Toyota. Probably going to do a few hundred thousand more.

I would have no interest drivng a 300K Camry from Salt Lake City to Los Angeles.....You can drive anywhere in the East and not be far from anything. Different story out West.

Originally Posted By: CKN

I would have no interest drivng a 300K Camry from Salt Lake City to Los Angeles.....You can drive anywhere in the East and not be far from anything. Different story out West.

a 300k toyota is going to be more reliable than anything newer from ford, chrysler, gm

thumbsup2.gif

Obligatory BITOG question: oil, filter and OCI for the first 250k? (I see the current fill....)

Originally Posted By: KingCake

a 300k toyota is going to be more reliable than anything newer from ford, chrysler, gm

LOL I'll have to mention that to my neighbor who just met with an attorney to discuss getting him out of one with the lemon law. Not flaming on Toyota, there's good and bad in all brands.

Congrats OP on 300K miles!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

LOL I'll have to mention that to my neighbor who just met with an attorney to discuss getting him out of one with the lemon law. Not flaming on Toyota, there's good and bad in all brands.

Congrats OP on 300K miles!

Lemon Law on a '90's Toyota ??

How about a long-service award instead.

I assume it's a far newer Toyota and not from the Golden Age as the other poster called it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SR5

Lemon Law on a '90's Toyota ??

How about a long-service award instead.

I assume it's a far newer Toyota and not from the Golden Age as the other poster called it.

My neighbor's is a 2016, but you missed my point. With regard to Toyota, my cousin had a pick up of theirs, early 90's. At the time he lived about 8 miles west of Lake George, NY. It rotted out so bad it couldn't be driven, way before the 100K mile mark. I had an 87 Ford that had to be bought back for an electrical problem. My point is there are lemons in all makes and models.

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
Too many people have the mindset that if a vehicle is old and has alot of miles that it can't be trusted.

People think that because they don't maintain their vehicles very well & they actually are unreliable when they have higher miles. A well maintained vehicle can be trusted whether it has 30,000 or 300,000.

hmm, that might ruffle a few feathers....I'm not a huge flag waver for the big three, but they each have reliable vehicles in their lineup. New for new (90's vintage Toyota vs. new model Ford, GM, Chrysler) yep...I'd probably buy that.

Same goes for Honda. The 80's and 90's 4 cylinders were ridiculously good.

My brother just sold a 2001 Civic with leather and 282k for $2700 in Virginia... the same day he put it on Craigslist. My old boss sold his hail-damaged, 2004 Accord with 352k for a grand. I agree, millenial Civics and Accords last essentially forever with basic maintenance and care.

Salt brine and pot holes take their toll up north. Its tough to keep a daily driver unscathed past about 10 years up here.

That's awesome to take a car well beyond 200K. Congrats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back