Historic Hangar 3 at Moffett Field to be dismantled

It's not that visible from the freeway, but I might have gotten a better view of it when I went to see Space Shuttle Endevour on its farewell flight (on the back of a 747) before display at the California Science Center.

Officials gave in to despair. In a report, NASA concluded that repairs would be “extensive, undefinable, and cost-prohibitive.” Hangar 3’s last resident was the National Guard’s engine shop.​
“Finally the word came out that it just was not possible to save it,” said Spink.​
“It’s going to be really hard when it all comes down,” he said. “We’re going to have to raise a glass to Hangar 3.”​

So many memories of Hanger 3, worked on the NE end of the hanger which was the Engine, Prop and Gearbox overhaul shop, we did all the propulsion work on the T56-14 and 54H60 PROPS. 🍻

I grew up in Millbrae then bought a house in San Bruno , until the year 2000. Moffett Field used to be an awesome place. The Air shows were quite the event to watch. The P3s took off and landed with conveyer belt like regularity.

Back