Hired Gun - A music industry movie

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
https://www.amazon.com/Hired-Gun-Alice-Cooper/dp/B073RFNY3C

This was on Netflix for a while, I've watched it four or five times, and it is WELL worth the watch if you have an Amazon Prime subscription. It's no longer on Netflix in Canada, but might be stateside?

The film is the brainchild of Jason Hook, a Canadian guitarist who is now the dominant lead on songs like "Lift me up" from heavy metal band "Five Finger Death Punch", a band that has managed to not only survive, but thrive in an age where most everything is online, rare for an act with a setlist as hard as theirs tends to be.

Jason's backstory, along with many other very well known names in the music scene, is covered in depth in this documentary which exposes an extremely eye-opening side of an industry where most think anybody who has attained any sort of success is rolling in dough. Quite the opposite for many of these people who were paid a pittance despite giving up a significant portion of their lives to turn their associated acts into what they were. Probably the most appalling and heart-wrenching story is that of Billy Joel drummer Liberty Devito.

Anyways, I don't want to spoil it, so this isn't a full review, but it is well worth the watch if you have the time. It is full of great music as well, as you have some absolutely iconic artists; many of the best of their trade, all collaborating and playing together throughout it.

Ya a lot of the gig and studio people don't get paid a lot so they have to always hustle. I have to check and see if my uncle's company makes cases for him. They took down the part of their webpage where they show the artists they supply.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Started watching it last night - very cool. Thanks for the reco.

You are quite welcome
cheers3.gif

Also watched this last night. Good movie. It was a little different than what I was expecting. I had expected this to look at studio musicians and the recording industry. There was a LOT of good stage film in this movie. Some pretty amazing stories too.
I can also recommend a few movies for you. Not sure if they are on NetFlix or Prime though.
* The Funk Brothers - Story about the "house band" at Motown.
* The Wrecking Crew - Same kind of story about the L.A. recording business.
* Muscle Shoals - another "house band" of "The Swampers" at Muscle Shoals, AL.
One other VERY interesting movie is called "20 Feet from Stardom". This is an excellent documentary about the musical influence of the primarily African American women backup singers.

Again Overkill, thanks for the excellent recommendation. WE need these right now.
smile.gif

Duke

Originally Posted by RoadDukie
Also watched this last night. Good movie. It was a little different than what I was expecting. I had expected this to look at studio musicians and the recording industry. There was a LOT of good stage film in this movie. Some pretty amazing stories too.
I can also recommend a few movies for you. Not sure if they are on NetFlix or Prime though.
* The Funk Brothers - Story about the "house band" at Motown.
* The Wrecking Crew - Same kind of story about the L.A. recording business.
* Muscle Shoals - another "house band" of "The Swampers" at Muscle Shoals, AL.
One other VERY interesting movie is called "20 Feet from Stardom". This is an excellent documentary about the musical influence of the primarily African American women backup singers.

Again Overkill, thanks for the excellent recommendation. WE need these right now.
smile.gif

Duke

You are quite welcome, and thanks for your recommendations!

thumbsup2.gif

Back