Hillary pushes for reinstatement of national 55 mph limit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with Mitch except make it 20 miles per gallon per person.

I've been in favor of leaving the current speed limits alone, but a vehicle highway rated less than 27-30 MPG (you draw the line) with one driver's gotta go 55. And it would be more sane with a two-tier speed limit than a continuously variable one. Want to go faster? Carpool or trade down!

And I don't think it should happen tomorrow, but it should be an "option on the shelf" that can get automatically triggered if, say, wholesale prices rise 20% in a month due to some catastrophie.

That would show commodoties traders that someone has their "finger on the button" and we will conserve if things get going badly enough. No freaking out.

Also, with that option on the shelf, the "cutoff" MPG will be an enticing goal to achieve by new car makers and buyers. Buy the new, 65MPH-rated Rav 4!

The gas tax should be doubled from $.18 to .36 BUT the first seven gallons one buys a week should be tax-free. Pay it at the pump and get a rebate later on. Could easily and automatically tie into credit card systems. Undocumented drivers or those with expired licenses, deadbeat dads, etc would not get that money back.

And I'm chagrined how many Hillary haters there are and what excuses are needed. At least she's discussing the issue and putting some thought into it. Does anyone remember Al Gore wishing for $2/gallon gas back in 2000? I'd go for some $2/gallon gas!!
grin.gif

PS: New York Post = Fox News.

Lower speed limits are not the answer. Higher limits allow traffic to flow more smoothly, except during rush hour. Can you imagine the time that a 55 mph limit would add to freight going cross country? We could actually burn more fule in the resulting traffic jams. The real issue with speed limits is the disparity between vehicle speeds on a highway at any given time. High differences in speed make for bad news.

A 20MPG limiter on vehicles is foolish. If the car cuts fuel at less than x MPG, then our cars would shut of at idle, which is exactly 0 MPG.

Sorry, just my .02.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back