Highly acclaimed new style of AT tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
See the all-terrain tire in the link below. This tire was developed for General Tire in Germany. It first came on the market in about 2004. It has a 60,000 mile warranty and in most sizes has 17/32 of an inch of tread, which is a lot of tread. It is NOT a snow tire. Its an all-terrain tire. Yet, like no AT tire I've seen, it has holes for studs, although only for 2 rows, instead of the usual 4 rows. If you Google for "general tire grabber at2" you'll get quite a few reviews, all of which praise the tire. I think that this is one of the best AT tires now available in view of the price, apparent traction capabilities, warranty, and the fact that it can be studded with two rows of studs. Note the tread pattern, which is VERY similar to the BFG All Terrain T/A KO that's so popular. Its cheaper, sometimes a lot cheaper, than most if not all of the currently most popular AT tires. For example, at Tirerack.com it costs $95 (not including shipping) for the 245/75R16 size, while the BFG All Terrain T/A KO is $145 at Tirerack.com.

http://www.generaltire.com/generato...n/all_terrain/grabber_at2/competition_en.html

Here's the Tirerack.com link to the tire. For some strange reason, the Tirerack description to the left of the pics of the tire does not in fact describe the tire, but you get all the other Tirerack info:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Grabber+AT+2

This looks like a great tire for my Land Rover. It's available in the hard to find 255/55/18 with an all terrain tread. This tire may be exactly what I'm looking for.

Do you know if the tire is made in Germany? If not then where are they made?

I remember the "General Tire of old." Before Continental bought them, they were junk tires that I wouldn't put on my mother-in-law's car. Surely Conti has enfused the brand with German engineering and technical know-how. Do you know of any reliability issues with these tires?

It does look a lot like the BFG ATs. Like the BFG ATs, it appears to have the severe snow service approval, so that would make it a snow tire, wouldn't it?

I prefer the full-depth grooves of the outer row of tread blocks on the BFGs though.

Good friend of mine has a set on his truck, they were on there when he bought it(used) they now have 30,000 that hes has put on them. They wear good, they do have a small hum. They do ok off road. He has no problems with them.

Decent looking, but no load range E in a 17in, a tire that is still kind of scarce. There are a few more load range D with a adequate load index, like the poplar BFG ATs, but for my truck those type of tires have also been implicated in 'death wobble' by more than a few people. Who would have guessed that putting large tires with lower air pressure on trucks with 4000 lb front axle loads empty would have caused problems. Anyway, it does look kind of like a BFG AT.

I have a set of Goodyear Wrangler 'Silent Armor', in a 265/70-17. They're load range E, severe snow rated, and have a 50k mile treadwear warranty. They're very smooth if the road is, otherwise you feel the road a bit more than the crummy stock Michelin A/S, but amazingly they're quieter than the stock Michelin highway tires. If they last as advertised I'll get another set.

look like a nice tire... but my BFG ATs are just too darn good... that snow design on them really helps too.

FOr the price, you really cant beat them for most application.

1sttruck, why didntyou go for michelin LTX A/T?? Were they available in your ratings set? I almost bought them over my BFGs due to althe good experiences Ive heard.. (still glad I got the BFGs though).

JMH

Michelin only offers the LTX A/S in that size and load range, which is a pretty humble tire. I would have picked up the LTX M&S if it had been available, as it has more siping than the A/T.

The BFG A/T KO seems to be the standard for comparison, it's one of the few 'regular' tires that has a severe snow rating, but they're only offered in load range D. In that load range the smallest tire is a 285/70-17, tire life can be short with 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks, and there are some complaints about hydroplaning as the tires wear. A friend has some Hummer BFG A/T KO take offs, they're 315s as I recall, and he said he might get 20k out of them. That's not much life for about a $1000.

Pirelli offers a 17in load range E but there are complaints about short tire life, I was looking at the Bridgestone Dueller Revo but they don't offer tread wear warranty in load range E. Cooper has some offerings but no regular tires with a severe snow rating. So far I'm very satisfied with the Wrangler Silent Armor.

quote:

Originally posted by 1sttruck:

The BFG A/T KO seems to be the standard for comparison, it's one of the few 'regular' tires that has a severe snow rating, but they're only offered in load range D. In that load range the smallest tire is a 285/70-17, tire life can be short with 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks, and there are some complaints about hydroplaning as the tires wear. A friend has some Hummer BFG A/T KO take offs, they're 315s as I recall, and he said he might get 20k out of them. That's not much life for about a $1000.

Wow, on my first set of BFG ATs, OE fittment in 31" on my98 ZR2, I got rid of them at 50k/7 years with over half the tread left (!) because their age was getting up there, and I was noting some sidewall cracking. I did have one with a funny belt that wouldnt balance properly, but it was A-OK on the rear axle... I also had one that was plugged, and I am not keen on running on plugged tires... So it was time for them to go given all the considerations.

Had I been able to keep my truck in the garage when not using it (as I can now), I bet Id still have those tires on the truck! UV damage can take its toll, and that was my biggest issue.

I anticipate at least 70k out of this set, provided what off roading I do doesnt damage them
shocked.gif
Age will probably be the reason I get rid of these as well!

JMH

quote:

The BFG A/T KO seems to be the standard for comparison, it's one of the few 'regular' tires that has a severe snow rating, but they're only offered in load range D. In that load range the smallest tire is a 285/70-17, tire life can be short with 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks, and there areeft some complaints about hydroplaning as the tires wear. A friend has some Hummer BFG A/T KO take offs, they're 315s as I recall, and he said he might get 20k out of them. That's not much life for about a $1000.

I have never gotten less then 50K out of my BFG's, and that includes the 315's I have on my Ram right now. And I certainly do not have a light right foot.

Carl

Continental = General. Conti does not make only tires, but manufactures a multitude of OEM car parts. Conti also owns the automotive division of Motorola.

"I have never gotten less then 50K out of my BFG's, and that includes the 315's I have on my Ram right now. And I certainly do not have a light right foot."

He often tows with a 3500 SRW, and doesn't have a light foot either. The BFG seems to get good mileage with the half tons, with heavier trucks in colder weather, but banzai runs to the southwest and midwest in the summer with a trailer is hard on softer tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back