Highest mileage vehicle gas engine with no oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember the first time VW specified 5K OCI, it wasn't because the engine or the oil was that good, they wanted to make the car seem like it had reduced maintenance compared to other cars, total marketing spin.

Originally Posted by Trav
I remember the first time VW specified 5K OCI, it wasn't because the engine or the oil was that good, they wanted to make the car seem like it had reduced maintenance compared to other cars, total marketing spin.

Not much has changed it seems in automotive marketing
grin2.gif

Whimsey

I just talking about this concept with old coworkers; apparently even when oil filters became all the rage in the late 1950s, it was common for its non automotive applications to not have a filter till the 1970s; generator applications for the 350 is what one coworker mentioned, but you changed the oil still once a year.

Originally Posted by KE7JFF
... apparently even when oil filters became all the rage in the late 1950s, it was common for its non automotive applications to not have a filter till the 1970s; ...
Really? The late 1950s is about when spin-on filters became the rage, although some models didn't switch until the '60s. Our 1952 tractor had a cartridge filter similar to those used in cars that had filters. I doubt it was a novelty then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back