Higher mileage oils-what's your experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard a lot about Maxlife, and all of it's been good. I haven't heard much about the other brands of high mileage oils. How do they compare to the Maxlife?

Pennzoils HM oil also contains moly, although not as much as Maxlife. It's flash point and pour
point aren't as favorable. I think the Quaker State HM oil is supposed to be almost identical to
Pennzoil (Johnny can answer this for sure)

The new Castrol GTX HM oil does not contain moly, but uses tons of calcium instead.

I do believe Maxlife has the best basestock out of all the HM oils. My oil analysis on the SJ
rated Maxlife (with 2.3k) should be in this week, then I'm trying out the SL Maxlife for 5k.

I'm not sure but I think Maxlife might be the only one that adds esters to their high mileage
formula too. I switched my Firebird over from Mobil 1 to this stuff, that's how highly I think of
it. And I started using Mobil 1 back in 1988 too, and almost exclusively since then. (other than
a short time using Castrol XLR on one car, and Amsoil for a couple of years when I was a
dealer)

At what point in an engine's "life" should HM oils be used? I commute about 53 miles each way to work at freeway speeds (65-75 mph/3000-3300 rpms) with very few (if any) slow downs, so my 2 year old PT Cruiser has 61,000 miles on it. Should I be looking at an HM motor oil?

Thanks in advance!

patriot.gif

I honestly believe that these high mileage oils can be used at any point in time. Some of them may not have the API certification though, so if you still have a warranty, you have to take this into consideration.

The Pennzoil and Quaker State High Mileage Oils are similar. Pennzoil uses the Group II+ base stock made at the Excel Paralube refinery and the Quaker State is made from Group II base stock purchsed from Cheveron (at this time). They use a different additive package. Pennzoil's additive package comes from Chevron Chemical and Quaker States comes from Lubrizoil. They both use a small amount of moly and they both use the esters as Valvoline does.

They have both been tested and passed the SL spec and the new labels are being printed. I agree with Patman, you could use these products in newer cars with good results.

Johnny, how much moly is in the QS and Pennzoil HM oils? Do you still talk with your friend at Valvoline who helped develop Maxlife? Could you ask him to explain how I got only 1ppm of moly showing on my recent oil analysis with Maxlife?

The new QS Defy is doing me very well in my high mileage Acura and needless to say it doesn't get driven easy, cam seal oil leaked has completely stopped midways thru my 2nd OCI...

I am wondering when is a good time to use HM too? I have a 2005 Dodge Stratus with a 2.7 v6; it has 122k miles. I have used lots of oils in it, now I have QSUD 5w20 in it. Thinking of trying some QS DEFY in it next time. I don't have leaks, or any noise from my engine. I don't know if it even needs HM oils.

When to use it?
Like Patman said, anytime is OK -safe.
HM oils are a bit thicker in their viscosity range, and have seal swell agents for fixing or attenuating some leaks. Often, they have more anti wear good stuff in them - in all that I've seen so far.
Who's is better? Pretty close in my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back