High Wear according to most Labs

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are all perfectionists here. Nothing wrong with that. But this was taken from the BITOG home page from OIl analysis and Wear Check as to what is considered Normal to Abnormal. Little reality check...

quote:

Engine problems predicted with oil analysis.

Silicon (Si) and
Aluminum (Al) 10 to 30 ppm
Iron (Fe) 100 to 200 ppm
Chromium (CR) 10 to 30 ppm
Copper (CU) 10 to 50 ppm
Lead (Pb)* 40 to 100 ppm
Lead (Pb)* 10 to 50 ppm
Aluminum (Al) 10 to 30 ppm
Tin 2 to 5 ppm

Rarely, if ever, do we ever see these kind of numbers, which is why engines can last long on even the cheapest dino oil.

or that is the spectro of a used oil that has had a cleaning additive in it and has picked up all the gunk in the motor.
bruce

Wouldn't it be dependant on the engine type?
My engine is DOHC with a timing chain, also has balance shafts. It seems like an engine with a timing belt, no balance shafts would show less wear metals?

Also as stated before what mileage are those #'s for??

That is problem, what interval and engine are they referring too? Even with extended drain intervals, we still never see those kind of numbers.

I still feel a lot better if I only see 2ppm of lead and 9ppm of iron in 6000 miles compared to if I saw 10ppm of lead and 30ppm of iron though! No matter how you slice it, the lower the number the better, even if we could still get 300k out of the engine with the higher numbers. Maybe I want to get 500k+ out of my engine!
smile.gif

I agree Patman, lower the better. I think it is important for most to see these numbers though so they don't have a stroke when seeing what we consider high numbers.
grin.gif

Good post buster. The values listed in that chart are labeled "acceptable levels".

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I still feel a lot better if I only see 2ppm of lead and 9ppm of iron in 6000 miles compared to if I saw 10ppm of lead and 30ppm of iron though! No matter how you slice it, the lower the number the better...

You may feel better, but at levels close to the noise floor, you may not be measuring wear but simply a oil's "chemical reactivity" with certain metals or accumulated metal laden deposits going into solution, IMHO. Don't some of the experts point this out repeatedly?

Further, I've seen engines return great UOAs right up until they spin a bearing. It's rare, but it does happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back