High temp RTV

The locktite 567 works great as Roofless VW mentioned.It is what I use on every drain plug. I used to work at a fork lift dealership and every drain plug pipe type hydraulic fitting I had my fingers on used that sealant . No leaks ,no come backs

Loctite is a brand.
It also used the same way as Xerox, Kleenex and Band-Aid means a copy, tissue or a bandage.

And yes, Loctite does make a pipe thread sealant that works. Ideally, those drain/fill plugs are installed dry with a new O-ring or crush washer.

It also used the same way as Xerox, Kleenex and Band-Aid means a copy, tissue or a bandage.
But I wasn't using the word colloquially. I recommended a specific product and some know-it-all immediately chimed in with "hur dur don't use Loctite it make bolt stuck." That same genius recommended Permatex No. 2, which is a gasket maker. So I felt the need to make the correction.

The only reason I recommended the Loctite 567 in the first place, and I clarified this in my original post, was for the transfer case plugs. Those plugs have nether o-rings nor sealing washers and require a thread sealant if you plan to reuse them.

Ideally, those drain/fill plugs are installed dry with a new O-ring or crush washer.
The differentials in the topic car have drain and fill plugs with o-rings. Not "or a crush washer." They should be lubed when installed, not dry.

Honestly, I'm not sure why you felt the need to reply to my post at all, since your reply adds exactly zero information to the conversation but pedantry.

Back