High Sodium! G8 GXP, Mobil 1 5w/30, 10k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is Valvoline white bottle the add pack says it all. It did an outstanding job for 10k miles! Valvoline is a great oil.

Originally Posted By: ducatisl
It's truly amazing how much iron and copper these LS motors put in the oil.

For my LS3, I just ran another OCI with Castrol Edge and after doing some valvetrain work am going to try Penzoil Ultra since I found it at Walmart for $21/jug (after the $3 coupon).

Nice to see another LS3 in the forum.

What vehicle does your LS3 push?

Where did you get the $3 coupon?

-Chad

Either VWB...or...

SynPower!
banana2.gif

Being dealer fill, the new SynPower was supposed to be angled at 'dexos1'. Especially the 5w30, IIRC.

Originally Posted By: cpurser
Originally Posted By: ducatisl
It's truly amazing how much iron and copper these LS motors put in the oil.

For my LS3, I just ran another OCI with Castrol Edge and after doing some valvetrain work am going to try Penzoil Ultra since I found it at Walmart for $21/jug (after the $3 coupon).

Nice to see another LS3 in the forum.

What vehicle does your LS3 push?

Where did you get the $3 coupon?

-Chad

2010 Camro SS, and the coupon was on the jugs.

Ok guys, I double checked the dealer invoice, and it states "5W30 SYN", so it is possible it's not M1.

-Chad
That isnt SYN either as the Ca/Mg is too low - unless the lab is in error.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Ok guys, I double checked the dealer invoice, and it states "5W30 SYN", so it is possible it's not M1.

-Chad
That isnt SYN either as the Ca/Mg is too low - unless the lab is in error.

So you can just tell whether an oil is synthetic or mineral based on amount of Ca/Mg alone???

Ok, to end the mystery, I called the dealer. They use both M1 and Castrol synthetic. So maybe they used the Castrol.

-Chad

Ok, to end the mystery, I called the dealer. They use both M1 and Castrol synthetic. So maybe they used the Castrol.

-Chad

According to the one Syntec 5w-30 VOA we have, it uses about 100 ppm of moly and quite a bit more calcium than what showed up in your UOA. So, it doesn't look like Syntec 5w-30 to me either.

Maybe they were supposed to use it, but the tech just grabbed whatever was in his reach to fill your engine.

It looks more like VWB than anything else. 2.2 after 10,000 miles. Pretty good for a conventional with a "weak" add pack.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back