High Sodium! G8 GXP, Mobil 1 5w/30, 10k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please provide feedback on this car's first analysis, especially about the high sodium.

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
LS3 6.2L V8
32,000 total miles
Mobil 1 5w/30

OLM stated I had 43% oil life left!

Code:

MI/HR on Oil 10,000

MI/HR on Unit 32,016

Sample Date 6/5/2011

Make Up Oil Added 0 qts

ALUMINUM 4

CHROMIUM 2

IRON 23

COPPER 80

LEAD 20

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 5

NICKEL 1

MANGANESE 3

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 5

BORON 3

SILICON 5

SODIUM 342

CALCIUM 1621

MAGNESIUM 8

PHOSPHORUS 677

ZINC 908

BARIUM 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 57.6

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 9.52

Flashpoint in °F 400

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0

Water % 0

Insolubles % 0.3

TBN 2.2

more than likely it is still producing high metal wear from breaking in. The copper does seem a little high, I would defiantly run a shorter OCI..

I don't see sodium on the list?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply. Lead was the only metal over the average. I was thinking it was due to break-in. Copper universal average is 86 (based on 4k miles).

Sodium is further down the list. (Use the scroll bar on the right side of the code box.)

TBN was also still good.

Sodium can be part of the oil's additive package, but to the best of my knowledge M1 does not use sodium. Maybe yours has an updated additive package with sodium in it. Someone else probably knows more than I do.

The level of wear particles is high but it's a 6.2L V8 built for performance. It's also still breaking in; I wouldn't be worried.

Use the "dexos1" label next time. What oil filter did you use? How would you describe the vehicle's use? Good fortune.

I'm a noob to the forum, so I'll have to research what dexos1 is. Thanks.

I had a year's worth of free oil changes with the dealer, so the filter was AC/Delco. Vehicle driving habit is 90% highway @ 2000 rpm. The engine is not abused. There are infrequent wide-open-throttle (WOT) events.

Thanks for the input,
Chad

That's NOT Mobil 1 synthetic. It might be the new Mobil 'Super' synthetic, but even that uses Titanium in it's add-pack.

This looks like Valvoline.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

X1

Your car might have a Mobil 1 logo on the oil cap, but your local dealer doesn't use it for their oil changes.

10K and your OLM is only at 43%? Wow.

The dealer's invoice says M1. Since it was free maybe they lied.

I refilled with Pennzoil Platinum, so I'll get another analysis and see if the sodium # changes.

Thanks for all the input.

-Chad

Originally Posted By: addyguy
That's NOT Mobil 1 synthetic. It might be the new Mobil 'Super' synthetic, but even that uses Titanium in it's add-pack.

Agreed, That is absolutely not Mobil-1 The mods should get this post re-titled. the OP shouldnt be "guessing" as to what oil is in the sump - and you NEVER trust a dealer to tell you what he's put in the sump - THATS for sure!

From my life experences you will really never know what the dealer put in. So start sq. one and get uoa with PP.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: cpurser
The dealer's invoice says M1. Since it was free maybe they lied.

I refilled with Pennzoil Platinum, so I'll get another analysis and see if the sodium # changes.

Thanks for all the input.

-Chad

Ok guys, I double checked the dealer invoice, and it states "5W30 SYN", so it is possible it's not M1.

-Chad

It's truly amazing how much iron and copper these LS motors put in the oil.

For my LS3, I just ran another OCI with Castrol Edge and after doing some valvetrain work am going to try Penzoil Ultra since I found it at Walmart for $21/jug (after the $3 coupon).

Nice to see another LS3 in the forum.

I don't believe this is M1 5-30 as the moly is only 5 and it should be around 100. More like Valvoline than M1.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back