High silicon, bearing wear in 2008 Nissan 3.5 VQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just buy an OEM Nissan filter. It is a lightly oiled PAPER filter and many of the non-OEM replacements are also. You can buy non-oiled for a lower price but then you get into this issue. Try looking at the products before you make statements.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
Just buy an OEM Nissan filter. It is a lightly oiled PAPER filter and many of the non-OEM replacements are also. You can buy non-oiled for a lower price but then you get into this issue. Try looking at the products before you make statements.

I own the product and so do my parents and so do my neighbours and so does my friend. (Nissan Altima (2.5 neighbours and 3.5 co worker, Nissan Sentra 2.0 and SpecV) and the filters don't have any oil on them.

I don't buy the assertion the Nissan filter would do a better job than the Amsoil - standard paper vs. the nano-pixie majic.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Frankly, I wouldn't worry about this at all. In fact don't do another UOA, drive the vehicle in peace, and no doubt this engine will last you as long as you own the car.

why is this - no need to worry?

Originally Posted By: Pablo
If this was dirt/silicon via the air filter or intake system leak, your Al number would be higher.

what else could it be? sand+metals in the oil doesn't sound so good... Is it just still a 'new' engine? majority of miles are highway at 1800-2000rpm. Could it be that it's still not broken in all the way?

Does this engine suffer the "disintegrating front cat" issue that I know some 4cyl cars suffer from, where the cat starts falling apart, and the engine starts ingesting it, causing failure? Could this be an early start to that?

Originally Posted By: Tim H.
Does this engine suffer the "disintegrating front cat" issue that I know some 4cyl cars suffer from, where the cat starts falling apart, and the engine starts ingesting it, causing failure? Could this be an early start to that?

I believe that issue was somewhere around 2003 to 2005 on Altimas and Sentras. The power valve screws were prone to falling out on those vehicles, and such an issue also occurs with 2001-2004 Pathfinders but the issue is significantly rarer.

Originally Posted By: Acroy
Originally Posted By: Pablo
If this was dirt/silicon via the air filter or intake system leak, your Al number would be higher.

what else could it be? sand+metals in the oil doesn't sound so good... Is it just still a 'new' engine? majority of miles are highway at 1800-2000rpm. Could it be that it's still not broken in all the way?

Oh it's broken in. A particle count and analysis would be helpful. It could be a breathing system leak, a loose hose or fitting.

Originally Posted By: Tim H.

No the disitegrating cat issue does not affect this engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back