high quality filter wrench?

That is how I do it, although once I get it hand tight I put my cup wrench on and turn it 1/8 or maybe even less, I just see it move and then I stop.

I was just a little confused when he said not what you want to happen on a new filter

That is how I do it, although once I get it hand tight I put my cup wrench on and turn it 1/8 or maybe even less, I just see it move and then I stop.

I was just a little confused when he said not what you want to happen on a new filter

Using a cup/cap type tool that goes over the dome end of the filter is OK for installation. Only the "JAW" type filter tools should be used for removing stubborn filters, not for installing them because they will damage the can, which could lead to a leak.

On my 2015 MDX, not enough space to use cap wrench, only above type can work. Then on my other car, an 2020 Hyundai Tucson, recessed filter area only allows cap wrench.

Yes they are all doing everything they can to kill the DIY oil change. I'm surprised at this point in time you don't have to take it to the Stealership to get their little $100 release the drain plug by computer.

I gave up on the cap type and threw the several that I had in the trash. I had even gone to the trouble of trying the fit on one of them with the filter that I was going to use at the auto parts store. They either slipped when using them or were a PITA to remove from the old filter once the filter was off the car. I have always tightened the filters as tight as I could with my bare hands and then another 3/4 turn with a wrench. Maybe a bit too tight but I have never had a leak by doing it that way for the last 49 years either.

I use a metal band type that needs a socket wrench handle and extension to tighten/loosen. I have two, one for the older, larger diameter filters that doesn't get used any more and a smaller one for the teacup sized filters that seem common these days. Luckily my cars have always had enough room around the filter to get a band wrench around it

I have always tightened the filters as tight as I could with my bare hands and then another 3/4 turn with a wrench. Maybe a bit too tight but I have never had a leak by doing it that way for the last 49 years either.

That's pretty tight IMO - makes it even harder to remove. I never tighten any oil filter more than 3/4 turn after the oiled gasket first hits the filter mount seat.

My Versa has such a small filter that when I bought it I didn't have a filter wrench small enough to remove the filter. When the oil/filter change came around I started using a large pair of channel lock pliers to remove the filter and haven't even tried to find a filter wrench that fits it. I have a cap wrench for my other cars but most of the time if I can get both hands on the filter I can loosen it by hand.

My Versa has such a small filter that when I bought it I didn't have a filter wrench small enough to remove the filter. When the oil/filter change came around I started using a large pair of channel lock pliers to remove the filter and haven't even tried to find a filter wrench that fits it. I have a cap wrench for my other cars but most of the time if I can get both hands on the filter I can loosen it by hand.

Having owned a couple of vehicles with small filters I also found the Channelocks worked great. Also the size works great when one hand tightens the filter on installing.

I usually use one of these. I have one in small and one in large. I very rarely meet a filter it can't handle. I believe they were made by Lisle.

LIS63600_media-01.jpg
ditto...excellent tool

I have both tools mentioned by Johnny Johnson and ejes. Both work great if you have the room to get at the filter. I rarely use either one now that I'm the only one doing the oil changes on my vehicles. Dang iffy lube joints seem to be under the impression that proper torque is strip it on, then turn it back half a turn.

That's pretty tight IMO - makes it even harder to remove. I never tighten any oil filter more than 3/4 turn after the oiled gasket first hits the filter mount seat.
^this
On several occasions I marked the can when the gasket contacted the mount and then marked again when it was hand tight. Always very close to 3/4 turn, so hand tight is the appropriate torque, at least with the odd angle I have to use with the Honda Odyssey; a better grip angle on a different car may allow hand tight to be too much/little. 3/4 past hand tight would be a beast to remove next time!

Back