high quality filter wrench?

I've been making due for years with the consumer grade auto parts store junk cup style filter wrenches for typical spin on filters. these work fine enough, but invariably get stuck on the filter upon removal and other poor fitment and quality issues.

i like good tools and have no problem investing in something better.

is there a line of cup style wrenches that are excellent, or universal type filter wrench that is highly recommended?

41H31jGU1yL._AC_SX355_.jpg

The metal band style has always been my go-to. On the rare occasion that I come across a filter too big for this type, I regrettably use the cup style.

Motivx has some decent stuff and worth looking at. Hazet is always top shelf and can be found on Amazon for a fair price.

These sockets were previously sold through Sears as the Triangle brand and are excellent and worth buying. they have the 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 sets.

I have several; it depends on filter access. The Lisle tool is great. A good fitting strap wrench works well too. Channel lock pliers are super if you can get to the filter.

The "jaw" type tools are only for removing the filter because they will chew into the can. Not what you want to happen if installing a new filter.

Mine are all KD and then I have one Craftsman I think. They rarely get used anymore because most of the time the canister filters come off by hand I usually only use the special ones on the cartridge housings for the newer filters.

I use a Hazet cup wrench and my "trade secret" for a "loose" cup type wrench is that I use a blue (shop) paper towel as a shim for a tight fit. Got the idea from long time ago working in a steel fab shop the guys working a 100 ton press brake would use thick paper as shims to form steel plates that weren't "quite" right. Paper has thickness. I most always have to lightly hammer the cup wrench off the filter, but also need a snug fit to remove said filter. Never met a filter I can't get off; I just figure a plastic mallet is a necessary tool for oil changes. Am I wrong?

I have used MotivX filter cap wrenches with good results as well. They seem to be better made than most, especially where you insert the drive ratchet; I like that you can use a socket as well if needed. My daughter came home from college a couple of times after she took her car to a "quick lube" place while away. I couldn't get the filter off either time and I couldn't get normal filter pliers or a longer bar to work due to the tight space. Went to HF and bought these for about $10 because the handles were shorter and would fit up in there. The fact that they locked on helped a bunch too. Worked great for that purpose, but that's all I'd use them for (not for easily removed filters or install):
63696_I.jpg

Last edited:
The "jaw" type tools are only for removing the filter because they will chew into the can. Not what you want to happen if installing a new filter.
Maybe I’m missing something and if so please explain so I can better understand, but you wouldn’t be using a “jaw” type tool to put the can filter back on right? Just screw on hand tight??

Correct. Always make sure the filter area doesnt have any of the old gasket left. Put some oil on the gasket seal and spin the new one on. I was taught by shade tree mechanic to hand tighten until you cannot turn it any longer, and then put a clean rag around it and then turn it maybe another 1/8 th turn. That is it.

Back