High pour rate for High Mileage Pennz

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just noticed Pennzoil high mileage has a real high temp pour rate. 5W30 HM has -27F, 5W30 regular Pennz has -44F, and 10W30 regualr Pennz has -33F.

So if you live in the northern tier states or Canada this means starting pulgged for our one or two cold months.

Any ideas besides moving?

quote:

Originally posted by Ironthinker:
I just noticed Pennzoil high mileage has a real high temp pour rate. 5W30 HM has -27F, 5W30 regular Pennz has -44F, and 10W30 regualr Pennz has -33F.

So if you live in the northern tier states or Canada this means starting pulgged for our one or two cold months.

Any ideas besides moving?

Wouldn't using a different oil be a better (and less costly) solution than moving to a warmer climate? Just a thought...
grin.gif

Ironthinker, the biggest difference between these and other Pennzoil formulations is the fact that the High Mileage version is formulated to be MUCH thicker. Presumably, the more miles on a motor, the more likely it might need a thicker oil.

You'd think that with the ester content in it, its pour point might drop ... but it hasn't.
dunno.gif

Fro example, I think Valvoline's Max-Life has a LOWER pour point than All-Climate ... but I'm not sure and I wouldn't buy either anyway.
tongue.gif

--- Bror Jace

Bror Jace, I just looked at Quaker State High Mileage and Pennz High Mileage data sheets. Both brands have the same 10W30 pour rate but on 5W30 is -27F and Quaker -43F.

I'm writing them to find if Pennz 5W is misprint.

Ironthinker, from what I can find out here at this web site it looks to me like Pennzoil is probably the best OTC conventional motor oil. According to what people have been able to find out, the regular Pennzoil flows at low temperatures (there was a freezer test that indicated this), and protects about as well as any other motor oil. I have come across some negative information about the Castrol GTX and the Chevron Supreme, so this puts Pennzoil about in a class by itself.

For cold weather you could use Mobil 1, and then use the Pennzoil High Mileage in the summer months.

"I have come across some negative information about the Castrol GTX and the Chevron Supreme, so this puts Pennzoil about in a class by itself."

Negative information about Chevron? Where?
confused.gif
dunno.gif

In another thread I theorized that mineral based oils giving amazing UOAs might be leaving some stuff behind ... but that is just a theory. I would like to see the insides of an engine that has used Chevron Supreme and a 4,000 - 4,500+ drain interval to see if this might have some validity. But until then, it is just a possibility ... and I'd continue using Chevron (if I wasn't so stocked up on Schaeffer
wink.gif
) in my vehicles and equipment.

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back