"High" Potassium in 04.5+ dodge cummins

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnr

Hi Folks,

Just had a UOA done which showed Potassium at 17. Sodium was just average at 3. Silicon at less than average at 2. Boron less than half of average at 32. Blackstone indicated that elevated potassium can indicate coolant in the oil, but said it is typically accompanied by sodium. This was a short oil change interval at only 3125 miles. The truck sees really low mileage so far so figured I would change at the 1 year mark on the oil.

For some back ground the truck has just 45k miles and when I bought it last year noticed the coolant overflow bottle was half way between the min and max marks. I topped it up at the start of this oil change interval and haven't noticed any change in the level.

Did a little research and saw some reports of the 3rd gen dodge cummins showing a little high on potassium.Some speculate it is a result of using valvoline premium blue. The previous owner used that oil so that could be the source if true. I have switched and run one oil change on Rotella T 15w40.

Can anyone confirm if Valvoline premium blue shows high potassium?

I also used a couple of bottles of Power Service fuel additive (white bottle - winter additive). I believe I have read that Howe's may have potassium in it. Any thoughts?

All wear metals, fuel, etc. looked fine and Blackstone indicated that the engine looks great.

I'll try a longer OCI and analyze again of course, but just curious if anything other than coolant can cause this?

Has anyone else had elevated potassium levels running Rotella T? Or has anyone had elevated levels that dropped to average later (well past break in as I have also read that assembly lube can cause potassium to read high).

Thanks for any input.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Search through the VOA section of this website for Valvoline Premium Blue analyses.

Thanks for the tip. Couldn't find it (found 5w40 Synthetic), but I did find Rotella T 15w40 which did show potassium at 5. Interesting.

What did your VOA show on the new oil?

Formulations can change and unless you know what the new oil contains, it is difficult to know if you have any coolant seepage or not.

Formulations can change and unless you know what the new oil contains, it is difficult to know if you have any coolant seepage or not.

gnr,
I've run Blackstone analysis on every OCI for the last 50K on my truck. I've run Val. Prem. Blue 15W40 and Castrol Tection Extra 15W40 every other time, with average OCI at 7K. My highest Potassium has been 5 with an average of 0 to 2. The VOA (that someone posted on here and I copied) shows NO potassium, so it is not a part of the additive package. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Never had a VOA done. Guess maybe I should have.

Originally Posted By: sikesix
gnr,
I've run Blackstone analysis on every OCI for the last 50K on my truck. I've run Val. Prem. Blue 15W40 and Castrol Tection Extra 15W40 every other time, with average OCI at 7K. My highest Potassium has been 5 with an average of 0 to 2. The VOA (that someone posted on here and I copied) shows NO potassium, so it is not a part of the additive package. Hope this helps.

Thanks. That eliminates the Valvoline the previous owner used as the source.

A little update on what I have found out so far.

Fleetguard/Cummins has a published document that says that sodium is the most reliable indicator of coolant in oil. They don't mention potassium.

I have also read, but have not been able to verify yet, that the HOAT coolant used in the Dodge Ram (Zerex G05 I think) contains little potassium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back