HIGH PERFORMANCE TIRES--RUMBLE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it common for high performance tires to "rumble" or otherwise be noisier than standard tires? Thanks! (Continental ContiSport 225/45-17)

The only high performance tires I ever had experience with were a set of Kumho Ecsta 712's. They stuck like glue on dry pavement, but good gravy were they noisy. They'd start to rumble at about 25mph and by the time you hit 55 they were absolutely roaring.

Originally Posted By: MADMIKE
CORRECTION: Continental "ContiProContact". Thanks!

Well, ContiProContact is not really a high performance tire. :) It's in the Grand Touring All Season category.

Is it your first tire in this size? Generally, wider, lower profile tires will tend to be slightly noisier - more tread hitting the pavement = more noise. Of course tread pattern itself is also a factor. And the more wear on the tire, generally more noise as well.

FYI... I just looked this tire up on TR - it seems there are some complaints about relatively high noise from the TR testing crew.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=86

25,000 miles on them, low rumble at lower speeds not bad, at highway speeds the left rear seems to howl in a certain speed range about 65-70 mph, I can hear it when I'm up against the jersey barrier especially, goes away when I reach a certain speed, ususally over 70 mph. I figured it had to do with the performance nature of the tires, wanted to check, I feel better now, thanks guys!

25,000 miles on them,

So, have they always been loud or is this something that you began to notice only recently?

My summer Dunlops (Sport Maxx) were quiet when new, but by 15k miles they were howling like crazy. I dumped them at 20k - they were close to wear bars by then anyway.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
25,000 miles on them,

So, have they always been loud or is this something that you began to notice only recently?

My summer Dunlops (Sport Maxx) were quiet when new, but by 15k miles they were howling like crazy. I dumped them at 20k - they were close to wear bars by then anyway.

Those are stock on my FIL's IS250...loud as heck at 3 to 4/32nds now with close to 50K miles. They seemed fine new as well.

It is my first experience with such a low profile wide tire, I've only had the car since 21,000 miles on the tires, do seem have gotten louder and they look like they are getting near the wear bars, maybe another 5,000 to 10,ooo miles left topos, thanks for all the info guys, I now realize there's nothing wrong with the tires which is what I was worried about.

Originally Posted By: Samilcar
The only high performance tires I ever had experience with were a set of Kumho Ecsta 712's. They stuck like glue on dry pavement, but good gravy were they noisy. They'd start to rumble at about 25mph and by the time you hit 55 they were absolutely roaring.

How much wear on these? You either had "some" wear or at least 1 bad tire. I've had a set of 712's over 110mph with no unusual noise what so ever. At 25mph they are either shot or at least 1 bad one.

Check the inside and outside ribs for cupping. Alignment might be just a little off.

Originally Posted By: Solo2driver
Fairly common, between tread pattern, usually stiffer carcass, etc. Grip, comfort, long life, low noise....you get to pick ONE. :)

You forgot fuel economy! Maybe my standards are low, but my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires seem to have all of the attributes you listed. However, fuel economy may have dropped a bit compared to the OEM Goodyear RS-As.

I have found my ultra high performance tires(Bridgestone RE960's) to very quiet. Quieter or on par than most standard tire.

Research is key.

Originally Posted By: TaterandNoodles
Originally Posted By: Samilcar

How much wear on these? You either had "some" wear or at least 1 bad tire. I've had a set of 712's over 110mph with no unusual noise what so ever. At 25mph they are either shot or at least 1 bad one.

They were quiet when new. The rumbling first made its appearance at about 15k miles of wear. It kept getting louder until about 35k miles, and at that point I couldn't stand it anymore and had them replaced. These were installed on a 1998 Civic and were "plus sized" 1 inch over the OEM 14" wheels. Not sure if the change to a lower profile 15" wheel had anything to do with the noise. Rotating the tires front to back didn't change the location of the noise at all, it seemed as if all 4 tires were equally noisy.

All the high performance tires I've put on our Olds Intrigue were noisy but that was the compromise we made. We're on a set of Firestone Wide Ovals and they seem to be just as noisy as any of the previous tires we've had on the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back