High performance air cooled two strokes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, what is the consensus on oils for air cooled two stokes? Lots of speculation on the model airplane forums. Talking about 30cc singles to 150/170cc twins and 200cc quads.
Some of the favorites are Red Line, Stihl Ultra HP, Amsoil, Royal Purple, Bel Ray.
Discus please.

I use the Stihl HP ultra in everything now. Ive been running VP SEF94 fuel mixed 50:1 with HP ultra in my DA-50.

Castrol TT-S. It's a quality synthetic that works well. I really love the old Mobil 1 2t oil. However, that's long gone for most people. I still have 4 gallons of it!

Really, any EG-D rated oil is going to work well for you.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

Really, any EG-D rated oil is going to work well for you.

+1
Everyone will give you their "Used XYZ oil for years with no problems" stories, but for me if it MEETS or EXCEEDS ISO-EGD or JASO FD its good stuff.

I have tried almost every kind of 2 stroke oil you can think up, but I feel better about oils that meet or exceed ISO-EGD and/or JASO FD. Much hubub about API TC, but that spec hasn't been updated in forever and almost any decent 2 stroke oil will be way beyond what the requirement is, even outboard oils!
Some people complain about Stihl HP Ultra smelling nasty, probably not an issue for you though.

Iso, and JASO are not the end all to 2x oil selection.
Ultra is only JASO FB. Your 2x engine type i.e. strato, open port, closed port or 4mix and there exhaust system types all have there own special needs. Like you said, most oils when mixed with the correct grade of fuel at the right ratios will dump positive results all over the room. But each engine type would indeed do better in the long run by following more than ISO and JASO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back