High or Low efficiency oil filters for ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd think that, in theory, you want the highest efficiency possible and to change it at short intervals. In practice, it doesn't seem to matter. Engines last hundreds of thousands of miles on low-efficiency filters and engines last hundreds of thousands of miles on high-efficiency filters.

Many OE filters (like Toyota) seem to be high flow/lower efficiency....I don't know what that means...

Originally Posted By: pbm
Many OE filters (like Toyota) seem to be high flow/lower efficiency....I don't know what that means...

It means they don't filter that great.
grin.gif

Are we SURE the low efficiency OE filters are high flowing? Everyone seems to assume they must be but I've not seen any evidence of it.

For the OP's question, high efficiency. There's no reason not to use a high efficiency filter. Unless they forget to drill holes in the center tube, the flow rate is going to be fine.

It means they have fewer idiots fighting for warranty repairs when they don't change their oil or filter even once in the warranty period. A low efficiency filter flowing "less filtered" oil beats a plugged high efficiency filter that's gone into bypass 10,000 miles ago any day.

For people that actually DO scheduled maintenance- high efficiency is the way to go provided minimum flow specs are met.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

It means they have fewer idiots fighting for warranty repairs when they don't change their oil or filter even once in the warranty period. A low efficiency filter flowing "less filtered" oil beats a plugged high efficiency filter that's gone into bypass 10,000 miles ago any day.
For people that actually DO scheduled maintenance- high efficiency is the way to go provided minimum flow specs are met.

Don't the cheap low-performance oil filters actually plug up sooner than the better oil filters like napagold, toughguard, ultra, M1 ? Specs always point to better: "Blending synthetic fibers with cellulose increases a filter's dirt-trapping efficiency and its dirt-holding capacity for higher levels of engine protection and longer filter life." from Frams website, which wins the Best Oil Filter Website oscar.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
You'd think that, in theory, you want the highest efficiency possible and to change it at short intervals. In practice, it doesn't seem to matter. Engines last hundreds of thousands of miles on low-efficiency filters and engines last hundreds of thousands of miles on high-efficiency filters.

Come on, now ...

Are you going to let facts and data from literally millions of vehicular examples sway your opinion into believing that, when every good BITOGer knows that only top-tier filters and PAO/Ester syns can make an engine last past the edge of the dealer's lot?
grin.gif

Additinally, are you echoing my claims that there is a complete lack of credible evidence in SAE study that would find any correlation between filter efficiency and wear, above a minimum threshold set defined by the OEM? Why, what manner of person are you that lets common sense and a zeal for valid data rule your decisions?
grin2.gif

Jeezzzz - get on the BITOG bandwagon and drink the lube-aid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back