High moly full syn 5w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO...you could check out Formula Shell Full Synthetic 5w-20 or 5w30 if you want a high Moly full synthetic oil.

Formula Shell and PYB in Conventional are loaded with Moly and most likely the Formula Shell Full Synthetic has a great dose of Moly in the blend. Odie had posted earlier in the Sales and Promotions, that Bee Jays warehouse had it on sale along with the conventional Formula Shell this month.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Yes, as far as I know, GM has fixed/cured this from about '02----> on in the LSxes. I know people with '02 f bodies with NO audible slap at all.
My brother's '06 LS2 Vette is dead quiet, save for his LOUD exhaust system.
wink.gif

It did/does not bother me in the least though, as long as I can still blow away all of the lesser 'quiet' import nameplates, while still getting >30 mpg on the highway, I VERY happy!!
cool.gif
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

My '02 has always had piston slap while cold, but it quiets down at operating temperature. I'm currently running 3.5 quarts RL 5w30, 2.0 quarts RL 10w40. I've got about 1600 miles on this mix, so I can't give much input on how it compares to the M1 HM 5w30 that I had been running. The engine seems to have some faint piston slap even when warm now, so it seems louder than on the M1. Oil consumption on the M1 HM was 1/2-qt in 5500 miles, so the Redline has to perform extremely well to even show an improvement.

Originally Posted By: Torrid
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Originally Posted By: Johnny
Maybe the High Mileage or Extended Performance Mobil 1 products would be more to your liking.

I agree 100%... The HM oils have excellent add packs and I use them in high and low mileage cars.

I think this is my best off the shelf choice. I'll either run the 10w30 or 10w40. Does the 40 have an even higher ZDDP content? I would probably choose the 40w if that is the case.

Since you have more than adequate oil pressure (60 psi) on regular M1 5W-30 a thicker HM 30wt or 40wt oil is not what you need.
I would stick with the light 5W-30 and suppliment as you have been with ZDDP and you could try Lubro-Moly suppliment to boost your moly levels. This will at least help you determine if these anti-wear additives actually suppress piston slap.

Another moly option is 4 quarts Toyota 0W-20 or Subaru 0W-20 which have something like 800 ppm of moly and buy one quart of Red Line 5W-50. The mix will give you a cost effective light 30wt with a boat load of moly.

I don't have piston slap, but I've had loud lifters. Unfortunately it doesn't go away with heat like the slap does. I just can't figure out why I burn a small amount of M1 5w30 but nothing else. I'm thinking it's time to try Pennzoil or Castrol.

Schaeffer's Supreme 9000™ Full Synthetic

moly is 309 ppm

ENEOS Fully Synthetic- 171 ppm

5W-30 grades......

i use red line plus 18oz. of lubegard bio engine protectant gives about 1100 ppm organic moly and 160ppm boron total. my engines are smoother then butter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nightmare
Schaeffer's Supreme 9000™ Full Synthetic

moly is 309 ppm

This is the correct answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back