High moly full syn 5w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an LS1 GTO and I currently run M1 5w30 with a quart of 15w50 and a ZDDP additive for protective overkill. The additive actually really quieted the lifter noise that these engines are famous for even new. The 15w50 was necessary to quell the mild consumption I was getting. I'm burning just under a quart every 4k miles without the 15w50. My reading around here is showing me the consumption seems to be common with 5w30 M1 and most likely isn't just a symptom of the motor and it's the only oil I have had consumption with. I've ran M1 0w40 and the lifters would get noisy again after 3k miles. I've also ran GC 0w30 and I have found it to be noisy as well. I'm sure in both of these cases ZDDP additive could help, but they already have elevated levels.

I think moly is going to be my answer to not "homebrewing" my own stuff. Mixing is annoying to say the least. I don't even mind thin 30w as my oil pressure is strong. On M1 5w30 I'm very close to 30psi at hot idle and I'm already past 60psi at 5k rpms. I prefer to buy oil in the 5qt jugs from Walmart because of the better value and I've noticed 10w30 Castrol Edge there lately. 5 qt jugs add a lot of convenience too because I also own a Jaguar S-Type 4.0 and I like to use the same oil in both cars. I've not had any of the same concerns of consumption in any noticeable level, nor do I have the noise with the overhead cam design.

Anyway as I've mentioned, I'm thinking of trying the Edge. Does anyone else have recommendations? At least with the Edge, I'm leaning towards 10w30 over the 5w30 being in a warmer climate and the VOAs seem to show the 10w30 is a bit thicker warm unlike M1 which shows the 5w30 thicker than their 10w30.

Sorry for the long post!

If you're looking for Moly check out Red Line Oil, expensive but it might be just the answer you're looking for.

I tend to buy a large amount of oil at a time, so if I find a good deal in bulk, Redline might be the answer. I still have 5 cases of M1 sitting around, but I'm just not entirely pleased with it in the GTO. The Jaguar doesn't seem to mind. The Jag owners manual says to use conventional and change every 10k miles. I'm not sure I would do that even on synthetic.

Not the SN Edge, check the voa section. Moly is hard to find, Toyota and Honda both have alot in th 0-20 but that is not what you need. Yeah Redline, hey you have a real need. Nothing like sleeping well but a real need.

I was hoping more oils would start utilizing larger amounts of moly since they are now limited on ZDDP. I did see a VOA for Redline 5w30 a few minutes ago. I've never seen a "street" labeled oil with so much antiwear additive. The calcium number is nice too.

Doesn't the LS1 small block use a roller tappet cam? The guys that fret about the loss of ZDDP are the FLAT tappet cam people. This should not be a concern to you if the LS1 has roller tappets. Correct me if I'm wrong. FWIW-Oldtommy

Yes, you are correct. There have been some near stock LS1s that have been wiping out cams and rollers recently. That's why the sound has made me nervous. I haven't had any unusual noise even after 3k miles with the additive so maybe I should stick with the brew. It's more cost effective than Redline and my levels are zinc 1350 phos 1250.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Toyota and Honda both have alot in th 0-20

I have seen VOAs of both of the new Honda oils, semi and full syn part# -9036, -9037 and they are unremarkable in their moly content at ~100ppm.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Toyota and Honda both have alot in th 0-20

I have seen VOAs of both of the new Honda oils, semi and full syn part# -9036, -9037 and they are unremarkable in their moly content at ~100ppm.

Even if they had 200-300 that would be great to offset a zinc and phosphorus level of 800ppm and 700ppm. 100 is still pretty light.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Maybe the High Mileage or Extended Performance Mobil 1 products would be more to your liking.

It looks like based on the VOA numbers the HM 10w30 should fit the bill for me. It's about as thick as the blend I've made with slightly lower ZDDP and around 100ppm moly. Calcium is around 3000ppm. This looks like a very strong oil.

edit - Just looked up the VOA for the standard 5w30 I'm running with my blend and it looks like the same level of moly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
If you're looking for Moly check out Red Line Oil, expensive but it might be just the answer you're looking for.

+2

Red Line (whether I mix the 30 & 40 weights, or just run the straight 5W-30) has not just quieted down any valvetrain noise I've ever had on other oils, but also has greatly reduced much of the cold start LS1 piston slap I've experienced with other brands.
smile.gif

My LS1 'consumes' about a quarter of a quart every 6K miles on Red Line, as it is one of the absolute lowest volatility formulas out there!
(This is even with running it VERY hard on the open track, and on the street.)
cool.gif

If it helped you, then it sounds like my best bet. $40 for a 5qt isn't horrible when you look at the per quart price. I don't have any piston slap luckily. I don't know if that is because of the LS6 block since mine is a 2004 build, but I don't remember talking to any GTO owners with the slap issue.

Last edited:
Maybe the High Mileage or Extended Performance Mobil 1 products would be more to your liking.

I agree 100%... The HM oils have excellent add packs and I use them in high and low mileage cars.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan

I agree 100%... The HM oils have excellent add packs and I use them in high and low mileage cars.

I think this is my best off the shelf choice. I'll either run the 10w30 or 10w40. Does the 40 have an even higher ZDDP content? I would probably choose the 40w if that is the case.

Originally Posted By: Torrid
If it helped you, then it sounds like my best bet. $40 for a 5qt isn't horrible when you look at the per quart price. I don't have any piston slap luckily. I don't know if that is because of the LS6 block since mine is a 2004 build, but I don't remember talking to any GTO owners with the slap issue.

Yes, as far as I know, GM has fixed/cured this from about '02----> on in the LSxes. I know people with '02 f bodies with NO audible slap at all.
My brother's '06 LS2 Vette is dead quiet, save for his LOUD exhaust system.
wink.gif

It did/does not bother me in the least though, as long as I can still blow away all of the lesser 'quiet' import nameplates, while still getting >30 mpg on the highway, I VERY happy!!
cool.gif
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back