High mileage wanting to switch over to synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 02 HD2500 with 145k on it. I've always ran Quaker State 5W-30 in it with regular OC's. I'm looking at switching over to a synthetic was wonder if I should use a HM synthetic. Also considering the mileage would it be best shorten the OC the first time around. Will the detergent in the synthetic clean up all these years of running dino oil. I have no oil leaks at the present time.

I would say if your truck doesnt burn oil or leak oil you would probably be fine. I switched to syn from conv oil at 165k and have had no trouble. In fact it did clean up the interior of the engine quite nicely and I got better gas mpg.

If you do decide to make the switch, and that's your call, I would indeed shorten the first OCI to 4 or 5k.
Seems the "cleanup" is unpredictable in severity.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
Originally Posted By: hpichris
If you were doing regular oil changes and you seem to have no problems atm. I wouldn't be to concerned in switching to HM.

+1
+2
thumbsup2.gif

You can choose to run regular Syn oil or the HM versions. The HM versions seem to have a stronger add pack to them. The Mobil 1 HM oils are a killer. Valvoline Maxlife is also good.

I would run at least one short OCI after the switch as it may clean up some crud.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
If you do decide to make the switch, and that's your call, I would indeed shorten the first OCI to 4 or 5k.
Seems the "cleanup" is unpredictable in severity.

Well....I cannot recommend that you SHORTEN OCI to 4000 miles as I have never gone as long as 4000 miles in my 49 years of driving and changing oil. I do think that it would be a really good idea to change your filter at 1500 miles, then change oil and filter at 3000 as "cleanup is indeed unpredictable in severity."

I recommend high mileage oils not for the maybe more seal conditioners and the extra detergents/dispersant's. High mileage synthetic oils such as Mobil 1 and Valvoline MaxLife, also have more anti wear, more FM, more antioxidants, a much higher HTHS, higher 100C cSt, and on. Valvoline 10W-30 synthetic MaxLife even meets the tougher European ACEA A3.

Top quality HM oils, such as Mobil 1 and Valvoline are a breed unto themselves. They are MUCH, MUCH, more than seal conditioners and detergents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back