High Mileage Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am on my first of two auto rx cleansings for a 97 cavalier with 140 thousdand miles. Because of the absent minded owner, (forgets oil changes regularly) I would like to convert it to a synthetic and try 6month oci. For a old 4 banger chevy, what syn would work best? Could I use rotella 5w40 syn or should I just get some m1?

Also, I would like to change my own oil in the Cavy, but how do you cavalier owners get under there it's very tight? I was thinking about getting some of those stands you drive up on? Got any ideas?

I can’t help you with the second question, but for that old “Iron Duke” motor you have, I’d think that he Rotella 5W-40 would work well (even though it’s not a true syn). M-1 would probably be a bit thin for your application. German Castrol Syntec 0W-30 would probably also be a good over-the-counter choice since it’s almost a 40-weight. If you were looking for a “boutique” oil, I’d consider the Amsoil 10W-30 (which is nearly a 40-weight too).

I suppose you could try Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic. Unfortunately, it's not available in a 40-weight. But the regular Maxlife is.

How about the second question, How do you "do it yourselfers change the oil in your Cavalier, Neons, or most any car for that matter. My filter seems to be only accesible from underneath? I think I might be able to get the drainplug while the car is on flat ground but that **** filter looks like I might need to jack up the cavy some what.

What is the safest way to do this?

I wish I had an easy answer for your second Q. I guess I've been pretty lucky with all the vehicles I've owned over the years. They all had easy to get at oil filters. Even our new Malibu is a snap to change the oil filter on. The best and easiest way I've found to change oil & filter is to use drive on ramps.

I changed oil many times on my son's '97 Cavalier. The filter can be removed from the top. You can get some extra clearance by putting a jack under the frame at the bumper and lift it up 3 inches or so. Enough to get a pan under.

The best is one of those RhinoRamps. I highly recommend.

My son's oil got a diet of 10W-30 oil. For most of its life Mobil 1. I'm sure yours uses some oil as well. His used maybe a quart every 7 or 8K miles since new.

You don't need a 40 weight in that engine. I wouldn't put 40 in it. If it uses oil just use a 25% to 50% mixture of 40 wt in there. Or even a 25% of 15W-50.

I went 11K already on an OCI. There are not a whole lot of postings on this entire board of 11K+ miles without a bypass interval.

Oh and use the larger oil filter for this vehicle.

Oil Analysis

quote:

Originally posted by Brett Miller:
That's not a 2.5 "Iron Duke". They never used them in Cavaliers.

Yeah some of those had some REALLY PITA oil filters( some had internal oil filters that were hanging face down, also some had drain plugs some didn't, when you drop the oil filter cover ALL of the oil comes out with the filter.)
shocked.gif
mad.gif

Part of me is glad they are gone just for those reasons!!!

WalMart has SUPERTECH HM Synth oil 10w-30, hard to find tho. Rotella syn is good. For extended ocis M1 0w-40 or 15w-50 if they drive a lot of miles. How about the Rotella or any HM oil with 1q of 15w-50 added? 6 month oci is a good target. I did a few on German Syntec, about 11,000 miles in that time.

[ September 12, 2004, 01:05 AM: Message edited by: Audi Junkie ]

Would I need to use a "high mileage synthetic" because the Cavalier has 138,xxx? I am in the process of my 1st arx treatment of 2. Also I have heard that this 2.2L 4 cyl should not be given a 40wt but then I have heard that it would be a good idea. I was thinking the engine is "loose" and a 40 wt would help.

You did not say how many miles in the 6 months. I would not use a HM oil, rather a 3oz dash of ARX every other change with a good 5w-30 dino like Motorcraft. I usually do this instead of a 2nd full treatment. You can try it with the Rotella instead if the miles in 6 months is over 5000. Either oil will work great.

Why do so many people seem to suggest mixing different oils? I would think theres a possibility of reducing an oils effectiveness by mixing it with a different weight? Why not use a 10w40 weight oil in an old 4 banger? I keep seeing some questionable advise and just wondering the reasons behind it? I don't like taking advise without being reassured that its valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back