high mileage question

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not the same car, but my Chrysler Sebring has 198k on it and I still run 5w20 year round. But this last oil change I finally went to a high mileage oil.

L8R,
Matt

A lot of people say to go up a grade in hot climates (40 grade instead of 30, for example) to better handle the heat. The theory is that higher ambient temps means higher operating oil temps, but in many years of careful observation in several different vehicles, I have not once been able to prove that theory. I've always seen operating temps remain pretty constant all year around with the only difference being how long it takes to get to that temperature. In fact, the only time I noticed a higher operating temp was when I went to a higher viscosity. This is logical sense higher viscosity means more hydrodynamic friction in the bearings, increasing the temperature delta through the bearings.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by paulbike
My mechanic said 10w40 would protect the engine better especially here in Florida, but I'm skeptical so I asked here. Also, it looks like Pennzoil only makes 10w40 in a non Platinum version and I thought the Platinum might be helpful as well. Last, the engine uses about one extra qt of oil every 5000k miles. Any further suggestions with this additional info? I wouldn't think 10w vs. 5w would make much difference?

If you want a 40-grade oil that has proven performance specifications then use Castrol 0W-40 or Mobil 1 0W-40 widely available at Walmart for $25 for 5 quarts. This oil carries a bunch of stringent approvals such as Mercedes-Benz 229.5 and Porsche A40. My opinion is that this is the biggest bargain oil on the market and it's what I use in my 1MZ-FE. Great oxidation resistance and high-temperature performance which is ideal for this engine.

Both the Castrol and the Mobil 1 0W-40 carry more approvals and specifications than any I've seen mentioned here yet.

Totally right I think ^^^^^^^^

You know every now and then kschachn you have rare moments of genius
lol.gif

Actually... In all seriousness you are very,very smart and have a very strong ability to think on a deeper level.

I would just run an SN rated 15W-40 and enjoy the low price and strong add-packs. FL especially....probably really reduce the oil consumption also....

Originally Posted by HyundaiAbuser
Originally Posted by blufeb95
Originally Posted by HyundaiAbuser
High mileage oils tend to run on the thicker end of the viscosity spectrum (however I'm sure someone who knows more than me about this one will chime in) so chances are what you're running is fairly close to 5w40 anyways along with some believe the high mileage additive packages and just generally better than non high mileage. In short I'd keep running what you are

PPHM 5w30 is right around 10cSt, it's a fairly thin 30 weight.

Disregard the first part of my statement for this case

As a generality, I'd say you were correct the first time. PP is somewhat of an outlier in it's 100c kv (11cSt being on the thicker side of things.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bbhero

Totally right I think ^^^^^^^^

You know every now and then kschachn you have rare moments of genius
lol.gif

Actually... In all seriousness you are very,very smart and have a very strong ability to think on a deeper level.

Yes I always enjoy reading what kschachn has to say.

I like it when he gets short with people too. His cutting humour is perfectly balanced.

Thanks for the help. I'll offer something unrelated that might help someone. Recently, I changed 4 tires and it felt like I was going slower than before on the highway. So, I downloaded a GPS app and then another to see if my speedometer was accurate. I discovered that I was going a full 5mph slower than the speedometer reading (assuming GPS to be correct). Later, Google maps added the speed feature and confirmed it. I can imagine that others might have the opposite condition after changing tires and that it could put you at risk for a ticket. Not hijacking the thread - just saying that checking the speedometer was something I never thought about before.

Originally Posted by paulbike
Thanks for the help. I'll offer something unrelated that might help someone. Recently, I changed 4 tires and it felt like I was going slower than before on the highway. So, I downloaded a GPS app and then another to see if my speedometer was accurate. I discovered that I was going a full 5mph slower than the speedometer reading (assuming GPS to be correct). Later, Google maps added the speed feature and confirmed it. I can imagine that others might have the opposite condition after changing tires and that it could put you at risk for a ticket. Not hijacking the thread - just saying that checking the speedometer was something I never thought about before.

It's your thread.. hijack away!
cool.gif

While things like tire pressure and size can effect actual speed I'd venture to guess that the vehicles system is reporting a bit on the high side. Imagine doing the speed limit per the vehicles reported speed but then johnny lawman tickets you using his radar gun because you were in fact OVER the speed limit. Purposely underreporting speed might open up mfgs to lawsuits not to mention probably dangerous in some situations. GPS is very accurate so long as you've got clear skies and no obstructions like buildings or tunnels.

Last edited:
I've checked my vehicles with GPS too. I suspected something was off because I'm always getting passed by other vehicles. Both my Fords are 2-3 mph slow which is normal for Ford's. The van is 10mph slow! And the 4Runner is 1 mph slow. All with stock tire sizes.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
I've checked my vehicles with GPS too. I suspected something was off because I'm always getting passed by other vehicles. Both my Fords are 2-3 mph slow which is normal for Ford's. The van is 10mph slow! And the 4Runner is 1 mph slow. All with stock tire sizes.

Right. Can you imagine if your vehicles were actually traveling faster than was being reported? Forget the speeding ticket, that could have catastrophic consequences in inclement weather for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back