high mileage question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using 5-30 Platinum high mileage full synthetic on my Solara in South Florida. My mechanic suggested that I switch to 5-40 instead of the "high mileage" version. I don't think Pennzoil makes 5-40. Is it available and if not what would be the reasons to use 3w30 high mileage vs something like Valvoline 5w40 full synthetic? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Unless you've had an oil analysis done and it shows some issue I don't see the need to switch, although in South Florida, it may make more sense to switch to a 10w30 over a 5w30, since 10w30 tends to be more stable and it never gets cold enough in South Florida to need a 0wX or 5wX

As it's Florida, the next step up would be 10W-40. No problem with cold starts there.
But unless you are using oil, stick with what works.

My 2¢

High mileage oils tend to run on the thicker end of the viscosity spectrum (however I'm sure someone who knows more than me about this one will chime in) so chances are what you're running is fairly close to 5w40 anyways along with some believe the high mileage additive packages and just generally better than non high mileage. In short I'd keep running what you are

Originally Posted by HyundaiAbuser
High mileage oils tend to run on the thicker end of the viscosity spectrum (however I'm sure someone who knows more than me about this one will chime in) so chances are what you're running is fairly close to 5w40 anyways along with some believe the high mileage additive packages and just generally better than non high mileage. In short I'd keep running what you are

PPHM 5w30 is right around 10cSt, it's a fairly thin 30 weight.

Originally Posted by dwendt44
As it's Florida, the next step up would be 10W-40. No problem with cold starts there.

My 2¢

If OPs been running a thin 30 weight like PPHM, a 10w40 would probably be way too thick, Castrol Edge High Mileage 10w40 and Mobil1 High Mileage 10w40 are very thick around 16cSt at operating temp, they're almost a light 50 weight.

Last edited:
Switch to mobil 1 HM I think it's around 12cst.

I'm running valvoline hm 10w 30 in central florida its

What year, engine, mileage?

I've been using 5W30 High Mileage oil in the Firebird V8 in my signature for over ~ 15 years. I see no need for anything thicker.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by blufeb95
Originally Posted by dwendt44

My 2¢

If OPs been running a thin 30 weight like PPHM, a 10w40 would probably be way too thick, Castrol Edge High Mileage 10w40 and Mobil1 High Mileage 10w40 are very thick around 16cSt at operating temp, they're almost a light 50 weight.

Oil is much more thicker than that upon starting. Running an Xw40 is not going to hurt anything aside from maybe a (miniscule) hit to F/E. In fact the engine might even run better given it's age and how clearances tend to widen with age.

In Australia and New Zealand, they don't sell many High Mileage (HM) oils, it's not really a market niche here.

Rather most people just step it up a grade as the vehicle ages. Just like your mechanic says.

In years of everybody I know doing it, I've never heard of any negative issues with the practice.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
Originally Posted by HyundaiAbuser

PPHM 5w30 is right around 10cSt, it's a fairly thin 30 weight.

Disregard the first part of my statement for this case

First, thanks everyone for your help. It's hard to know what's working without looking inside the engine, but I bought the car at 60k and it now has almost 120k. I'm not sure if it was well maintained previously, but I started right away with full synthetic. Toyota specifies 5w30 so that's what I used and I switched to high mileage at 75k.

My mechanic said 10w40 would protect the engine better especially here in Florida, but I'm skeptical so I asked here. Also, it looks like Pennzoil only makes 10w40 in a non Platinum version and I thought the Platinum might be helpful as well. Last, the engine uses about one extra qt of oil every 5000k miles. Any further suggestions with this additional info? I wouldn't think 10w vs. 5w would make much difference?

Originally Posted by paulbike

My mechanic said 10w40 would protect the engine better especially here in Florida, but I'm skeptical so I asked here. Also, it looks like Pennzoil only makes 10w40 in a non Platinum version and I thought the Platinum might be helpful as well. Last, the engine uses about one extra qt of oil every 5000k miles. Any further suggestions with this additional info? I wouldn't think 10w vs. 5w would make much difference?

A quart every 5000mi is pretty normal on an older engine, I'd try 10w30 Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage since that's what you've been before putting a heavier oil in, 10w30 is usually less volatile than 5w30 that's why many recommend using it over 5w30 in hotter climates where it doesn't ever get below 0F during the winter.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
Maybe try Valvoline Maxlife blend, it's on the thicker side. Both 5w30 and 10w30 are 10.9 I believe.

Or Mobil1 High Mileage the 5w30 and 10w30 in it are around 12.

One quart every 5000 miles is not a problem.

Neither is stepping it up a grade just once to see what it is like. Then you know more and you can always go back, it's not a one way street.

In a warm climate I usually go 15W40 mineral or 10W40 semi-synthetic or 0/5W40 full synthetic. But that is also a reflection of my local market.

A 10W30 full synthetic is also good advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back