High Mileage oils, Part 99

Status
Not open for further replies.
This topic has been discussed at length, but not in relation to rating. I was looking for something to put into the old Dodge van, the beach rig, to stop oil consumption a little. It quieted down quite a bit after an ARx treatment, so thinking of some heavier oil to use. I was reading the labels; Castrol and MaxLife both say they "exceed SL ratings" without exactly saying they are SL. On the other hand Quaker State says its HM oil is SJ. Would this indicate that the QS has more anti-wear additives than the others? Isn't that the main difference between SL and SJ?
Mike

I can't answer your question. I just wanted to share that I had very poor results using QS high mileage oil in a 1996 Chevy Cavalier with 130k miles. Oil consumption tripled or quadrupled compared to Mobil DC I had been using. Going to QS HM 10W-40 helped a little but not much. This oil sucks!
thumbsdown.gif
I went back to Mobil DC.

Skepticism may be the operative word here, as well. But I think the principle is good, after all, the newer oils are designed for tight-clearance, smaller high-revving engines. Why wouldn't one of the HM oils work as advertised, and carry an older API rating? I don't really want to use a 15-50, but would like something like the old 10W-40. Isn't the Delvac a diesel oil? Probably high ash, not the best idea for an oil burner, I think.
Mike

quote:

Originally posted by Mike Thompson:

...the main difference between SL and SJ?
Mike

"...The performance requirements for API SL/ILSAC GF-3 are much tougher than the
requirements for API SJ/ILSAC GF-2. The pass/fail limits for the engine tests and the
bench tests have been tightened significantly."
[much more follows]

http://www.76lubricants.com/cmc_upload/EDITORIAL/0/000/017/869/tn3_4.pdf

Ken

[ August 11, 2003, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

Very interesting. I didn't know Ford had spec'ed a tougher standard for their XW-20 oils; I won't be so leery of using them. But in reference to this thread, this leaves a conundrum. Clearly the newer oils are superior in virtually every parameter to SJ standard oils. But a modern, HM oil that doesn't meed SL requirements, well exactly what is the missing ingredient? Maybe there is more than .1% phosphorous? Perhaps the volatility is greater than allowable? Maybe all of the specs are weak, which wouldn't justify the higher price.
The search continues.......
Mike

Mike,

What year Dodge and what engine? In Oceanside you could safely use a straight 40 if the smoke is real bad.

My recommendation would be 20W-50 or 15W-40, which is what I use in the '87 Dodge 318. 15W-40 Delo also fixed the oil consumption problem in an old four-cylinder Caravan.

Jimbo, its the Mitsu 3.0L V6. It was pretty well abused in its youth; my wife didn't pay much attention, and I just never seemed to have time for it, sort of an orphan. Main and valve cover seals all went about the same time, and it was dripping more than burning. So oil got changed by replenishment; about 1 qt/week.
rolleyes.gif
I got the seals changed and the drips all went away; A-Rx fixed a lot of the smoking and sticking lifters. Now that I think about, it just took 1.25 qts. after 2200 mi., which isn't really bad. I was just looking for something a little heavier than the 10W-30 I've been using. A 15W-40 might be just the ticket; which of the oils available at WallyWorld would work?
Mike

Delo, Delvac and Rotella are available at Wally's, Kragen and Autozone. Rotella and Castrol RX at Pepboys. I have also seen Pennzoil LongLife at some of those stores. Pepboys and Wally's also have house brand 15W-40's.

These oils all carry the latest API SL rating for gasoline engines as well as the diesel ratings, just not the "energy conserving" GL-3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back