"High Mileage" Oils are they Synthetic Blends

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

We have a car that consumes some oil at the rate of ~1Qt/1500 miles. It fits the mileage of high mileage at 155k miles on odometer. Is Pennzoil or Castrol "High Mileage" 5W30 oil (recommended grade) a blend with many additives? Any recommendations for these types of oils? She does not check dipstick. She also likes 4k-5k oil change intervals hence the question about blend. Manual states 3750 miles for severe interval.

thanks for any insight

The only true HM PAO Synthetic Blend available is the Mobil HM oil . It's offered in 5w-30 , 10w-30 and 10w-40 and has a new lower price than last year . It's less money per quart than the others exept Citgo's Ultra Life and Mobil says it can be used in new cars as well

New price hikes of up to 8.49 for 5 quart jugs of dino vs 10 bucks for 5 quarts of the Mobil HM......
smile.gif

Excuse my ignorance, but does PAO mean a quality synthetic oil like Mobil 1, Amsoil, Redline, the Made in Germany Castrol mentioned a lot here?

Andy ,

Yes it means Poly Alpha Olefins which is a real synthetic basestock unlike Valvoline , Castrol and a host of others that now call group III dino a synthetic basestock .

other over the counter so called syn blends blends will use group II and group III .

It's a mess and I'm very opinionated on it . Most consumers are not aware of what happened here but one can't say Mobil did not try to stop what has happened to change the industry
cheers.gif
. It's an over priced glorified dino IMO .

Lubrizol does not recognise group III as a synthetic basestock either last time i was at their website .

Yes I think so. I was looking at the shelves yesterday and they had Castrol GTX, High Mileage and Syntec Blend lined up all 40 cents apart.

I think if the Syntec Blend for eg. has ~20-30% synthetic content, then the High Mileage would have about ~10-20%. This would account for the 'condiions seals' etc. statements.

And yes, a group III based oil CAN AND IS a synthetic. If anything it's because of it's ester content. So get over it. That would be like saying only GM knows how to make 'real' V-8's...
grin.gif

I'm considering trying the Pennzoil 5W-30 HM oil. Does anyone know if it contains any synthetic oil and if so what kind (PAO, ester, or group III) and what percent?
Thanks in advance.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:

And yes, a group III based oil CAN AND IS a synthetic. If anything it's because of it's ester content. So get over it.

I tell ya what . Pick any group III 30wt made and put it in a head to head battle against Amsoils PAO 30wts and get back to me after a couple years testing
grin.gif

Ohhh and High Mileage oils do not contain esters , only a variety of esterfied type additives that clean , cling and raise the TBN
wink.gif

Yes....and we're obviously seeing a difference between M-1 and Amsoil in the 3MP study as well. Both PAO.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pmt:
I'm considering trying the Pennzoil 5W-30 HM oil. Does anyone know if it contains any synthetic oil and if so what kind (PAO, ester, or group III) and what percent?
Thanks in advance.

I bounced this up to the top because I fear my question got lost in the eternal argument of PAO vs. Group III base stock. Anyone, maybe Johnny, know what synthetic might be in Pennzoil 5W-30 HM?
Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:

quote:

quote:

I bounced this up to the top because I fear my question got lost in the eternal argument of PAO vs. Group III base stock. Anyone, maybe Johnny, know what synthetic might be in Pennzoil 5W-30 HM?
Thanks.

No synthetic be it group III or PAO in that oil
smile.gif

Doesn't it use esters as a seal-swell agent?

I personally like pennzoil HM(I haven't tried any other HM oils). It stopped a small rear-main leak on my mopar 3.5L. Plus the engine just seems to run well on it. But there's no synthetic or group III in it.

[ April 29, 2004, 04:21 AM: Message edited by: 69 Riv GS ]

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:

quote:

quote:

Thanks.

No synthetic be it group III or PAO in that oil
smile.gif

Doesn't it use esters as a seal-swell agent?

I'd like to know this also. Are there any esters in Pennzoil HM? If not I might use it for an Auto-Rx rinse.

Johnny? Anyone??

quote:

Originally posted by jsharp:
Are there any esters in Pennzoil HM? If not I might use it for an Auto-Rx rinse.

Johnny? Anyone??

Johnny posted just the other day that Pennzoil HM is Group II with some esters in it for seal swell. Plus, if you look at the VOAs, this oil also has a pretty robust additive package. And both the 5w30 and 10w30 are blended on the heavy side.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Originally posted by jsharp:
Are there any esters in Pennzoil HM? If not I might use it for an Auto-Rx rinse.

Johnny? Anyone??

Johnny posted just the other day that Pennzoil HM is Group II with some esters in it for seal swell. Plus, if you look at the VOAs, this oil also has a pretty robust additive package. And both the 5w30 and 10w30 are blended on the heavy side.

Thanks, I missed that post. Yes, I should have done a search
pat.gif
I did look at the data sheet and noticed the high viscosity for a given weight...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back