High Mileage Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Just found this board yesterday....a day late. I just got a 91 Honda Prelude with 190,000 miles. When I got it it seemed to run clean but after I changed the oil it has been smoking badly. I know I made the wrong choice now after reading some posts here. I used 5w30 mobile1 synthetic. I guess I should've used a thicker non synthetic oil. I just finished dumping in some restore and it's barely smoking at all right now but I'm not sure how long it'll last. I plan on changing the oil again this week and I just wanted to ask the oil wizards here what I should use? After I change the oil should I put in more Restore?

Thanks much,

Rich

I used to have a 91 Prelude. It smoked bad as well. I learned they almost all have a problem with the rings. I don't recall if they wear prematurely or they get stuck from deposits. A mechanic bought mine after I wrecked and told me the problem was the rings too, but I didnt ask more. Check out some Prelude websites to verify.

I'd stay away from that Restore. And if the rings are getting stuck I would use Auto-RX.

Ah, you must have the B21A 2.1 litre motor. They are notorious for smoking. I don't remember exactly the reason, I think it had to do with the cylinder sleeves. The 2.0 liter was iron-renforced sleeves and the 2.1 was something else. I used to hear about this all the time when I used to go to hondaprelude.com when I owned a 90' Si. I replaced the motor in mine when the TB belt broke prematurally. If you decided to get the smoke problem fixed, I suggest you purchase a used JDM B20A motor with approx. 30-40k miles. I got one for $728.00 and it ran awesome, and with warranty too. Can't beat that cosidering how much in labor it will cost you to just fix the rings and machine the head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back