High mileage oil vs. regular conv. oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I am relatively new to this site, so, I apologize if this question has been answered before.

I have a 1999 Toyota 4 Runner with 141,000 miles. I have been using Castrol GTX 5w30 for the past few oil changes. Should I consider using the high mileage version? Also, how does Pennzoil compare to the Castrol oils?

Thanks,
Scoot

if you are not experiencing leaks in your engine with the current motor oil you are using, then stay with it and no need to go with high-mileage oil.

Q.

IMHO all brand name OTC conventional oils will do just fine for 5000miles OCI. I'm not brand-loyal to any kind so long as the price is right.

Originally Posted By: Quest
if you are not experiencing leaks in your engine with the current motor oil you are using, then stay with it and no need to go with high-mileage oil.

Q.

IMHO all brand name OTC conventional oils will do just fine for 5000miles OCI. I'm not brand-loyal to any kind so long as the price is right.

+1

Castrol GTX 5W30 is the best bang for the buck that I have found!!

High Milage oils are usually syn blends and are much thicker than the energy conserving types. Castrol HM is quite a bit pricer than GTX.

I think you are already on to the best oil how about your filter? Purolator Pure 1.

Hey Scott - I have a few older vehicles, with 140k and 190k miles on them. I've been running HM oils for the past year and a half. My older pickup was using about 1 to 2 quarts of oil between OCI's. I don't know if it was leaking, or burning it, but the HM oil seems to have helped. I'm not quite a half-quart low now between OCI's. The blazer never has used a drop of oil, but I switched to HM oil anyways. It sure doesn't hurt to use it. It does have a better additive package than regular dino oil. Oh, and by the way -
welcome2.gif

I use the HM oil in my truck that has 140k on it. Ive always used oil in betweenchanges and realyl no notable difference with the HM so id say stick to conventional if your running good.

I use Mobil 1 HM 5W30 in a 04 Impala SS with (9K) miles... I love it because it has a great add pack and the engine runs great.

Try Maxlife HM semi syn because it offers more then leak prevention, it has a good add pack and has been recommended by many here on this site.

Pennzoil HM is also a good oil. Good luck...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back