High-Mileage Oil To Help With Valve Stem Seal Leaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone on the board ever used (or currently using) high-mileage oil with success in reducing valve stem seal leakage?

I love my Long-Life, my consumption is low and I now have a very clean engine, but I do have a good deal of valve-stem-seal induced blue smoke on startup...

Any thoughts?

[ July 14, 2004, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
How about an Auto-rx treatment? That would probably help out immensely.

Thank you for the suggestion Pat, but at this point, I'd like to just try some "plain" engine oil and see what happens...

Oops - a bit slow on the draw today.

Jelly, the AutoRX would significantly reduce your aggrivation with the valve seal issues. It may take many oil changes with a high mileage oil to see a difference, while ARX will work quickly in comparison.

You've been on the boards long enough to realize nearly everyone who has tried it has seen notable improvement, why are you unwilling to try it?

quote:

Originally posted by crashz:
You've been on the boards long enough to realize nearly everyone who has tried it has seen notable improvement, why are you unwilling to try it?

Because that would make too much sense!
grin.gif

Seriously though Crash, I've never been much of a mail-order or additive person, and it's gonna take some time for me to "embrace" these two. Yes, I do fully realize that many who use this product have experienced good success with it, and if nothing else works for me, then I'll probably use it.

When I think about it though, I think my main reason for wanting to switch to a different oil is just curiousity:

Will the blue-smoke be reduced?
Will consumption levels stay the same?
Will the truck be "peppier" with a lower viscosity lube?
Will it start easier?
Will I see a difference in fuel mileage?
Will it run smoother, or will it run more rough?

[ July 14, 2004, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

I see what you mean. It took me a long time to get to the point where I'd spend $25 online for an engine cleaner. I trusted neither. But it was worth it, and after the great results in my g/f's car, I ordered about 5 more bottles for the rest of the fleet.

I'll be getting my winter car running soon (89 S15 Jimmy 4x4 4.3L V6) and I'll be running Delo and ARX. So far I've noticed that ARX works even better with the help of a HDEO, and since I don't have to convince you on that, I figured I'd pose the point to you.

Well - if you do go with the high mileage oils, let us know how it works for you.
cheers.gif

Jelly, I thought you would never use a pcmo in a vehicle you owned? Isn't this contradictory? All the HM oils are regular SL.

My family and friends have had great success, in particular aiding in valve stem seal leaks, when using especially Valvoline MaxLife and Castrol HighMileage. The Castrol actually took an oil change longer to show results, but we think it is a better oil. It holds higher oil pressure and the engines sound better, although the MaxLife has done well, too. The HighMileage oils seem to be better oils, in general, than their conventional counterparts.

Jelly, I think the jury is still out on the ability of these oils to stop or even seriously slow down oil leaks.

I remember Bob was a serious skeptic of this ... although I've forgotten the test he conducted to justify his position.

Are you sure your oil consumption/smoking is due to valve seals? This can be really hard to pin down. I'm not sure all the traditional shade-tree-mechanic rules still apply to all new motors.
frown.gif

I know Bogatyr used Valvoline Max-Life (early and later batches) in my old 1990 Integra which had some oil leaking and he claimed that oil leaking, even externally on the garage floor, was noticeably diminished.

As others have said, best thing to do is to try and see.
dunno.gif

Your motor will be fine on PCMOs ... although I agree that HDEOs are better.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

It will be an interesting experiment Jelly and if it works great. I was leary of going ARx what with stories of leaks etc. that develop and then go away during treatment. Was going to experiment and see if a quart of ester rich Redline would do some cleaning and then maybe try some HDEO, but Monday I gave in and ordered several bottles ARx. Should have it in the crankcase by the end of the week. Interesting, the ARx site says they believe the hi mile oils will cause seal leaks over long term. I think it is in the FAQs there.

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:
Jelly, I thought you would never use a pcmo in a vehicle you owned? Isn't this contradictory? All the HM oils are regular SL.

You're 100% right.

I'm starting the come around though...
grin.gif

With that said, I believe I've found a Long-Life replacement (for my particular vehicle) and will shortly post a new topic..,

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
Are you sure your oil consumption/smoking is due to valve seals?
--- Bror Jace

To be totally honest, no, I don't.

BUT, what else would cause blue smoke only on startup (no smoke of any color at any other time) after sitting for a period of time?

My Tercel suffers from valve stem seal leakage. I used Valvoline's high mileage oil for my usual 5K mile change interval with no change. In all fairness, this may not have been a long enough period of use for this stuff to do its thing. All I can tell you is it didn't do anything after using it for 5K miles.

quote:

Originally posted by bottgers:
My Tercel suffers from valve stem seal leakage. I used Valvoline's high mileage oil for my usual 5K mile change interval with no change. In all fairness, this may not have been a long enough period of use for this stuff to do its thing. All I can tell you is it didn't do anything after using it for 5K miles.

I tried using Castrol HM 10w-30 in my old SHO that burned thru a quart every 800. No change in consumption either - it burned about the same amount no matter what viscocity I put in (5w-30, 10w-30, 10w-40); and burned twice as much M1 5w-30. I'm thinking it may have helped but would have taken more than the 3.5k interval I used it for. I'm pretty sure most of that engine's problems was half valve seals and half rings.

Thank you for the replys so far...

See, the problem with my truck before (and I think most gas high-mileage engines) was that the engine was pretty darn dirty inside. Varnish and deposits on the valves, and the same in combination with "burnt" oil and combustion by-products on the rings.

After about ten months of running Long-Life though, (and about twelve months of HDEO's total - ran Rotella, Delo, and Delvac before that) the engine uses much less oil and is noticeably more clean.

My original thought was that now the engine is clean, the "high-mileage agents" can readily gain access and perform their job without being blocked by a bunch of deposits...

Jelly, given the strong barrier anti-wear package in Pennzoil High Mileage Vehicle oil, I don't think you have anything to lose by trying it. The esters in the HMV oil should be able to keep the insides of your motor clean.

Bogatyr noticed oil consumption/leakage down only after the 2nd interval with Max-Life. Amazingly enough, they recommend it (or at least used to) for two full intervals before you'll see a difference.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

Well, I'm sort of like you Jelly. No additives for me. I keep all my vehicles for well over 100K with regular oil changes.

My '78 Ranchero with 182K and my 88 Toyota 4x4 with 330K run great but have the valve seal puff of smoke.

After being on this Forum and seeing all the Auto-rx raves and no complaints, I bit the dust.

I am now on my 1st dose of Auto-rx in my Yo and within 300 miles of the rinse phase. Would you believe ( even while using M-1 ) the puff has gone from the Yo?

I am now a believer. You can teach 'ol dogs new tricks...lol! I plan to start my Ranchero as soon as the oil level drops enough to add the Auto-rx.

If that works, as expected, I will probably do the treatment on my other vehicles.

Now, this doesn't mean I'm gonna go out and buy me a case of Marvel Mystery Oil......lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back