High mileage oil just contains seal swellers?

That is correct
So are we saying that, for the most part at least, high mileage oils are no worse for a new or non-high-mileage engine than regular oil?

Are we saying that some of the HM oils are a little thicker in the viscosity range of the rating?

And lastly, saying that they can (do?) contain a little more additives to help with wear?
That is the position of Valvoline. It's also what I believe. I think another manufacturer ( Exxon-Mobil?) takes the opposite stand. Think many others are silent on the whole thing. Valvoline has MaxLife filling the high mileage and blend slots at VIOC even though Daily Protection is also a blend up to 5w30.

That is the position of Valvoline. It's also what I believe. I think another manufacturer ( Exxon-Mobil?) takes the opposite stand. Think many others are silent on the whole thing. Valvoline has MaxLife filling the high mileage and blend slots at VIOC even though Daily Protection is also a blend up to 5w30.
Are you saying it's the position of the manufacturers? What opposite stand are Exxon/Mobil1 taking?

Soo, essentially, there's little point in buying the regular version if i can get a HM version?
Why is this somewhat of a revelation to me? :confused:

That is actually a very defensible statement and valid with a good deal of legitimate scientific scrutiny ( not bulletproof but a strong position)

Here's why ( coming from one who has to spec out lubricants at times for custom applications so I know this process)

"high mileage" means whatever you believe it means- it has no mechanical definition.

The oil proper doesn't know or care.

The OEM cannot possibly guess or know every possible application or usage.

There is no "standard' of what constitutes "high mileage" or where it even begins or separates it from say "heavy usage"

So if its "beneficial" in the "high mileage"- it would be equally as beneficial for the "low" and "medium" mileage as well.

Plus, all the additives only benefit if they are consumed- otherwise they just float around until they fall out or age.

I'm running HM 0w-20 in my Subaru that I bought brand new, since the 12K mile oil change.

I'm hoping that maybe it'll avoid the valve cover leaks that happen on these engines

Are you saying it's the position of the manufacturers? What opposite stand are Exxon/Mobil1 taking?
I must have read that they didn't recommend low mileage on BITOG but I'm too lazy to research it even though I'm a retired librarian and should have known not to quote what I couldn't source. Seems to have been in last month although it could have been an older cite. Anyone else remember this? Not even sure it's XOM.

I must have read that they didn't recommend low mileage on BITOG but I'm too lazy to research it even though I'm a retired librarian and should have known not to quote what I couldn't source. Seems to have been in last month although it could have been an older cite. Anyone else remember this? Not even sure it's XOM.
https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants...ars/high-mileage-guide/high-mileage-challenge

Here is a test Mobil did on their high mileage oil-- half a million miles on a Camry-- looks like they started with a new car so that should be something. I think the earlier reference I found looked like it was written by some copy writer, like a Q&A about the product. I wouldn't hesitate to use a hi mi product in a new car.

So you know how there's apple cheerios, honey nut cheerios, and regular cereal? They're "shelf flankers" meant to take up space so there's more valvoline on the shelf and less quaker state.

This leads to benefits such as Autozone's december clearance sale on stuff like 10w40 4x4 high mileage synthetic blend. Then BITOG goes crazy about how it's perfect for their 1997 XJ Cherokees.

It's not a dumb question because the "leak plugger" chemistry in stuff like R134a is a definite no-no, and the stuff in PS or ATF fluid is controversial.

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants...ars/high-mileage-guide/high-mileage-challenge

Here is a test Mobil did on their high mileage oil-- half a million miles on a Camry-- looks like they started with a new car so that should be something. I think the earlier reference I found looked like it was written by some copy writer, like a Q&A about the product. I wouldn't hesitate to use a hi mi product in a new car.

Well what did you expect they cheated they did the test in New Jersey. Now in Pennsylvania the results would have been completely different ask Adam.

Recently Mobil emailed another member here back and basically said if it meets the spec for said vehicle it is recommended.

Recently Mobil emailed another member here back and basically said if it meets the spec for said vehicle it is recommended.
Yes, the statement being referenced about not using it was unsubstantiated and is contrary to anything on their website. It is also contrary to API licensing.

So you know how there's apple cheerios, honey nut cheerios, and regular cereal? They're "shelf flankers" meant to take up space so there's more valvoline on the shelf and less quaker state.

This leads to benefits such as Autozone's december clearance sale on stuff like 10w40 4x4 high mileage synthetic blend. Then BITOG goes crazy about how it's perfect for their 1997 XJ Cherokees.

It's not a dumb question because the "leak plugger" chemistry in stuff like R134a is a definite no-no, and the stuff in PS or ATF fluid is controversial.
Exactly, it's all marketing. Lots of people will buy it because they think it's better for their 4x4 or truck etc. It doesn't mean it's a good oil, just don't expect it to be a miracle product for your vehicle because it says it's for a truck or 4x4. Personally I run m1 0w40 Euro in my old flat tappet V8 even though it's the opposite of being marketed for it, because I can buy it on sale for the same price as regular m1 almost and it has extra zddp.

Personally I run m1 0w40 Euro in my old flat tappet V8 even though it's the opposite of being marketed for it, because I can buy it on sale for the same price as regular m1 almost and it has extra zddp.

That Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 is some good stuff, isn't it? 😁

Since I opened the door on XOM, I thought I better search for references to Mobil not approving hi mi in new cars. I did find this which disproves my memory. Mobil says it's OK, at least here.

I'm starting to see spec sheets for GF5 and now GF6 versions of the popular oils, and i'm noticing that the 100c cSt ratings are higher for the same grade in the GF6 specs (been comparing 5w20) which i thought was interesting.

Not just the odd points either, i've seen 8.2 going up to a 9.0 for the same oil, just the GF6 specification.

Also of partial note here, using Castrol's oil selector, it auto-recommends the HM version of Castrol Edge for my 2012 5.0 truck, it's not until i get to a 2016 or '17 model until it changes to the regular version of Edge - no mileage given, so i'm assuming it's just based on how old the vehicle is in their little search engine.

Also, as i'm interested in thicker 5w20's, (or the "good idea" to run 5w30 in the 5.0 Coyote) i see the extended performance Castrol Edge is much 'thicker' as well, same with Mobil1's extended performance.

Back