High mileage oil contents

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering what chemicals are used in HM oils to keep seals elastic. I'm having a hard time finding HM oils here, although Quaker State's HM oil is available in a green bottle. But that contains Slick 50 - which I personally would not want in any engine, and there's barely any information on the label. Not even an API service grade is specified, other than "10W-30" as viscosity. Thanks!

I recently used QS 5W-30 with the slick 50 in my old truck and it ran great this winter. Probly more to due with the lower viscosity and HM add package than the slick 50. As long as we are on the subject what is "slick 50" anyway?? I have heard of it called "sludge 50" on this site before. Is it harmfull or does it sludge up?

No. That was probably a reference to the old Slick50 that used Teflon as an engine additive, which was pure snake-oil is there ever was any...

The newer Slick50 is said to be just additional anti-wear additives...

Slick 50 Engine Treatment (regular or HM version) no longer contains PTFE (Teflon) as did the original Slick 50 formula. The additives that it contains are designed to address problems that some engines have, especially older one with high miles. I would not use in a newer engine, or an older engine that is in excellent condition, but is OK for HM engines with typical HM problems.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Esters.

thumbsup2.gif

I had the opportunity to talk with a chemist from XOM.
shocked2.gif
He told me that all GP II/II+ oils required some esters for seal conditioning. GP III oils required esters also, more-so than the GP II oils. GP IV oils required the most esters for seal conditioners. That is whether they are high mileage or regular oils.

I can't get a "yes"/"no" answer from XOM, or anyone else, if their HM oils actually use "MORE" of these esters or if they just advertise them more seriously.
21.gif

I do know that Valvoline, in their MaxLife and MaxLife synthetic,(their HM oils) do use a heavier base oil(higher HTHS), higher 100C cSt, more anti wear, more friction modifiers, more antioxidants. They also advertise and warrant that the "seal conditioners" they use are compatible with factory new and rebuilt engines.

Mobil 1 HM oils have a heavier base oil(11.79, 3.66 HTHS, for 10W-30 HM) vs (10.0, 3.14 HTHS for their regular 10W-30) more ZDDP, 1000 ppm, more moly, more boron, more detergents, and more antioxidants. They also advertise their seal conditioners.

I, personally, do not use 30 grade oils, but, if I were to use one, it would be either Maxlife 10W-30 full synthetic, Mobil 1 10W-30 HM, or Amsoil 10W-30 XLT. I know that XLT is not a HM oil, but look at that add pack, HTHS, and TBN.

That's very interesting! I wonder if GP IV oils actually contain the same amount of esters as dino HM oil?

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Could the Slick50 additive be the reason it isn't API certified?

I doubt it. They probably haven't submitted it to the necessary tests to avoid paying the large fees...

Just like QS "Horsepower" Synthetic didn't meet the same specs such as the Honda/Acura HTO-06 despite being very similar in formulation to Pennzoil Platinum, which does...

If you search through the FAQ and the question archives of Mobil and Ashland, search Google and Yahoo, you will see that GP IV oils require more seal conditioner additives than GP III, GP II dino oils.

I have read here on BITOG, and from links supplied by BITOG, that when PAO oils first became available, there were a lot of leaky seals that had not been there with dino oils. Seal conditioner were added to the PAO oils to correct the problem. Evidently, the more refined the oil, such as GP II and GP III, and the PAO do not of themselves condition seals and seal conditioners must be added.

Where I cannot get a straight answer is whether or not the HM oils actually have more conditioners than the regular oils of the same group. This makes me 'SUSPECT" the HM oils actually have no more conditioners, just more advertising/marketing that sounds good.

HM oils have more seal conditioners than regular oils, there's no doubt about that. But I think it has been said here that nearly everything has more seal conditioners than the oils of yesteryear in order to prevent leaky seals...

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Could the Slick50 additive be the reason it isn't API certified?

I haven't seen a high mileage oil that has the API seal on the bottle as they do not meet "energy Conserving" ( I could be wrong about Valvoline Maxlife though, don't remember if that one did as it is a syn blend )

usually they meet current API ratings ( SM or whatnot ) but as they do not meet energy conserving standards they won't have the seal on the front of the bottle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back