High Mileage Oil Choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With new entries to the High Mileage Oil party - what would be your top choice followed by one or two other high mileage oil choices - if your favorite was not available ? Synthetic or Semi - Synthetic unless you have a Conventional choice that you think stands up really well . Thanks in advance for replies !

M1 HM for syn. Maxlife or Castrol for syn blend. WM has all of these on sale from time to time. Right now Maxlife is 15.88 for 5 qts locally. M1 goes for 22.45 on sale. Right now it is $25-26 for 5 qts.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
With new entries to the High Mileage Oil party - what would be your top choice

Good question. I'm actually pondering the idea of starting to use HM oil my my 530i, in hopes of reducing slight oil seepage/consumption. However, I want to remain in the performance ballpark of the mfg spec oil (LL-01), which is baselined on ACEA A3/B4 spec. So, from that perspective, it's going to be either M1 HM 10w-30 or 40, or the new Castrol Edge HM 10w-40.

Valvoline MaxLife used to claim ACEA A3/B4 some time back, but they no longer do, as far as I can tell.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
So, from that perspective, it's going to be either M1 HM 10w-30 or 40, or the new Castrol Edge HM 10w-40.

Actually, M1 HM 10w-30 and 40 claim ACEA A3/B3 only. Edge HM 10w-40 claims A3/B4.

My favorites are Penn HM and Castrol HM since both are still thick for grade which I prefer in a HM oil.

Have had the Sebring on Maxlife for years though, excellent stuff.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
With new entries to the High Mileage Oil party - what would be your top choice followed by one or two other high mileage oil choices - if your favorite was not available ? Synthetic or Semi - Synthetic unless you have a Conventional choice that you think stands up really well . Thanks in advance for replies !

Mobil 1 (extreme audio to go) but pennzoil and ML for semi-syns.

Last edited:
I'm running Mobil 1 HM in the 1970 Beetle currently and about to change the Jeep Cherokee's oil over to Mobil 1 HM.

M1 HM cut oil consumption in my Grand Marquis from 2500mi qt to less than a quart in 5K mi... After changing to M1 there was probably a half qt loss in first 1500 mi and since has used far less... It was never quite full after change(approx 4/5 full) and I've added approx 1/2 qt, still not down to add and it's coming up on 7K mi...

Originally Posted By: TFB1
M1 HM cut oil consumption in my Grand Marquis from 2500mi qt to less than a quart in 5K mi... After changing to M1 there was probably a half qt loss in first 1500 mi and since has used far less... It was never quite full after change(approx 4/5 full) and I've added approx 1/2 qt, still not down to add and it's coming up on 7K mi...

M1 HM 10w-30 with that 3.5 HT/HS, you hear me?1

I used maxlife red bottle (semi syn) in a Saturn sc2 with decent results Then went to their white bottle HM full syn. Still not bad and smoking and co consumption went down. Then I figured I would go Mobil since the prices were so close and I prefer Mobil. With this the little Saturn did best on. The Mobil Super is semi syn and a bargain at Walmart.

So my choices are:

Mobil 1 HM (syn)
Mobil Super HM (semi syn)

I've settled on MaxLife full syn

Their 5w30 version meets numerous current specs including SN, GF-5, and dexos

I was never really a Valvoline fan, but after playing with the Lubrizol Comparison Tool... the MaxLife was the BEST oil on many different metrics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back