High Mileage Oil Choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a 1996 GMC Yukon (5.7L Vortec) with 118000 miles on the clock.

It has probably been run with 5W30 from day one, but my mechanic who did a transmission flush today has recommended higher blends for the miles on it: 10W30, 15W30 maybe even 10W40.

Is this sound advise? His suggestion is Quaker State Higher Mileage because it has all of the additives in it already, and says that for a truck of this mileage he does not recommend full synthetic as it runs too thin.

The truck does have a slight lifter tap, but nothing outrageous.

I'm not so concerned about the brand as I am about the blend and the dino/synthetic comments.

What's the take of the masses on his thoughs?

I purchased a 1997 Silverado with 127000 miles and switched to 10w-40 motorcraft. It was using 10w-30 havoline- the motor ran more better with increased gas mileage and less noise. The thicker oil film really seems to help. My motor is a 5.7 liter also and runs like a new one. Of course the winter temps. will require a switch back to something lighter. If you go with a high mileage oil look at the Castrol gtx high mileage oil. I just finished a run with regualar gtx in my wifes car and an having the oil analyzed now and expect good results.

If it was mine, for an off-the shelf oil available everyhere, I'd run Pennzoil high mileage in 10w30 or, for hot weather, try the Pennzoil Long-Life 15w40. I've never seen any 15w30 oils.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Stuart Hughes:
I've never seen any 15w30 oils.
dunno.gif

That should have read 10W30, 10W40 maybe even 15W40.
blush.gif

What I'm getting so far suggests that upping to a higher viscosity blend is not a bad idea, but what about my mechanic's anti-synthetic sentiments?

I've run Castrol GTX HM 10w30 & Pennz LL 15w40 on my 99 truck with > 140k miles with good results. The ticker oil does seems to lessen valve train noise. Walmart currently sells Pennz HM oils at $8.97 per jug(5 quarts) here in Jersey.

quote:

Originally posted by Muskoka:

quote:

Originally posted by Stuart Hughes:
I've never seen any 15w30 oils.
dunno.gif

That should have read 10W30, 10W40 maybe even 15W40.
blush.gif

What I'm getting so far suggests that upping to a higher viscosity blend is not a bad idea, but what about my mechanic's anti-synthetic sentiments?

I have a 1998 Tahoe with the same 5.7 l gasoline engine. I have always used 5W30 dino and there has always (for as long as I remember) been some lifter tap at start up for less than a minute. I had some 10W30 oil in the garage I wanted to use up and put it in the 'hoe last weekend. Lifter tap completely gone at startup.

My 'hoe has 86,000 miles on it and I am going to switch it to Mobil 1 5W30 at the next change. I have heard people say what your mechanic says...that synthetic oil flows more freely and using it on a high mileage car will result in leaks. I switched my 1997 Lumina (75,000 miles on it) over to Rotalla T 5W40 synthetic about 4,000 miles ago with no leakage beyond the small amount of seepage that was there with the dino; I did this to reduce consumption and it was successful. This gave me confidence to change to Mobil 1 on the 'hoe.

For what it is worth, I have read that people who have experienced leaks with synthetic in their high mileage vehicles had them disappear when they switched back, so I would not worry about it too much.

Hope this helps!

With advise and recommendations from here and other sites, I've taken myself half way to taking the synthetic plunge.

I impulsively pulled into a Wal-Mart that I passed in today's travels and bought a jug + 1 of Mobil 1 10W40 @ CDN$28.46 + $7.12 (where do they come up with these numbers, anyway?). Curiously, it states "Higher Mileage Vehicle Formula" on the label - largely marketing, but convenient none the less. I also grabbed a Fram Double Guard Filter - anyone have any comments on this particular filter now that I've already bought it?

I'm not due for an oil change for another 1500 KMs or so, but I'll let you know if there's any immediate difference.

[ June 25, 2003, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: Muskoka ]

sure it's not 10w30? last time I checked mobil1 was only available in a 10w40 for motorcycles.

--Matt

quote:

Originally posted by mkosem:
sure it's not 10w30? last time I checked mobil1 was only available in a 10w40 for motorcycles.

--Matt

Especially in Toronto too, the Walmarts here don't even carry 0w40, just the 5w30, 10w30 or 15w50 (allow these gather dust, you can sometimes find old stock of the "advanced formula" 15w50!)

pat.gif
What am I talking about?!

Yes, it's 10W30. You'd think I would know that particularly when (a) I just bought the stuff, making sure I didn't get 5W30 and (b) it says 10W30 right on the label in bold type above the Higher Mileage bit.

It's been a long day.
cheers.gif

[ June 25, 2003, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: Muskoka ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back