High mileage Mazda 2.5 4 cyl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All-

I am the new owner of a 2009 Mazda 6 with the 2.5 liter MZR 4-cylinder engine. I bought this car for my daughter even though it has 190,000 miles, because it appears to be in immaculate condition. The previous owner furnished service records for his term of ownership (he was the second owner), since 40,000 miles, and the car has had regular oil changes with either full synthetic or syn blends of varying brands.

Does this engine have any special requirements? My inclination is just to run whatever 5w-20 full syn is on sale at a 5,000 mi. OCI. Good plan? Is there anything to be gained from a special "high mileage" oil?

I'll ask about the trans fluid in that form.

Thanks!

Do you have an Owners Manual? Does it burn or leak oil? If no to both, your plan looks good. I like/use HM oil (cost is the same) but that's a very controversial topic.

I will have to monitor to see if it burns or uses oil. If so, what should I do?

Thanks for your reply.

Those are known to be very durable and reliable engines. If there are no leaks or weeps I would stay the course. If there are then maybe a HM oil like Maxlife will help.

I almost always used M1 0w-30 or 5w-30, starting on the 2nd oil change after we bought ours new. Never burned a drop using 5000 miles intervals no matter what I used. I dont think the MZR engines are known for burning oil. Or much else for that matter, its a well made engine series with very few problems. The only thing I ever heard about going wrong were the thermostats, usually around 100,000 miles, but even that seemed hit or miss.

I've done 10k+ intervals on PP/PUP for a long time on my Fusion, all on 0/5W20s. This past oil change, I put in Ravenol DXG 5W30, and I can say it's never idled smoother nor been quieter than it is now. I can't say it's the Ravenol, or the 5W30, but its at least one of them. I will probably go back to PUP 5W30 on the next OCI.

I changed my thermostat and coolant at 100k even though it was fine; 6 years for such an important yet inexpensive item just makes sense to me. Way better and cheaper than being stranded somewhere and causing engine damage.

I have a 2007 Mazda 6 2.3L. It has 140k on the clock and I've been running Mobil 1 5W-30 EP for the last 60k miles. Before that, I was putting in PU and PP 5W-30. I change the oil once a year or every 10k miles, which ever comes first. The car doesn't burn any oil and I never changed the PCV valve on the car. You may want to replace the engine mount, spark plugs, thermostat and water pump if it hasn't been replaced already. I would also look at the condition of all 4 struts and front control arms.

Overall, the car has been very reliable and drives like new! One of the best purchases I've made

-ttvr4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back