High Mileage Honda Pilot

Anyone has thoughts on a 2006-2008 Honda Pilot with 250K miles, but all service history and in good looking condition.

Timing belt and WP were replaced 30K-40K miles ago. Good cars or too high mileage and run? Appreciate the help (y)

I have one that i paid $200 for its a 2008. I bought it as a flip vehicle but i found a couple of things very wrong with it after i got it home. The heater core is leaking and the whole rear suspension has rusted through and broken at the attachment points. (i drove it home).

So with that being said do a careful inspection of things like that before you pay.

I'd be concerned about suspension woes. Not that these are known for it, just that everything tends to be knackered at these miles. No idea what struts and various bushings would cost. But then that goes towards the question, what is the purpose. Around town beater for a kid or something one plans to daily drive at 25k/year.

Planning to get it for around town and anything within 100miles to haul family or small stuff around the house. Will have a backup car too, so won't be a daily driver.

OP seems to be attracted to extremely high mileage (>200K) Honda vehicles. While good vehicles, any vehicle at that mileage is worn out and their desirability really depends on the individual candidate's past history of maintenance and repair. If you find one with all maintenance up-to-date, wear items addressed and no outstanding repair issues, it can be a decent buy at the right price. Otherwise, pass....unless you plan to rehab it yourself.

I noticed the coolant level was down a little and then investigated and found a weep under the dash..

I would look into Rav4 or Subaru Forester or Outback for a family beater. A pontiac vibe as well.

OP seems to be attracted to extremely high mileage (>200K) Honda vehicles. While good vehicles, any vehicle at that mileage is worn out and their desirability really depends on the individual candidate's past history of maintenance and repair. If you find one with all maintenance up-to-date, wear items addressed and no outstanding repair issues, it can be a decent buy at the right price. Otherwise, pass....unless you plan to rehab it yourself.
Seems a bit over the top? Worn but worn out?

Is there a need to keep a pedestrian vehicle in tip-top shape, as delivered by the factory, for piddling around town and other pedestrian pursuits where 0-60 runs and max cornering g's don't matter?

There is new, there is unsafe and then there is a big area of "good enough" that exists between.

There were some years that Honda used the wrong type of plastic to hold the screen that is before the expansion restriction of the AC system. I do not remember what those years were, but 2006 - 2008 may very well be in that group. And some of those years have other problems with the AC system. If where you live gets too hot in the summer to get by without AC then you better do some research on what years Honda vehicles had AC problems and what those problems were. Some of the problems with the wrong plastic results in contamination of the system that can be very hard to get straightened out, such as requiring replacing the entire system because of the contamination.

If you can get it for $1500-2000 and it has been maintained/isn't a rust bucket I think that is worthwhile. Just don't put a bunch of money into it. I have family members with vehicles that have 250k that I've personally worked on and would trust more than some people's 100k mile vehicles. At that age and mileage like I stated before it really depends on condition and service history.

If you get 6 months out of it you got your monies worth. What are you worried about? Most places you get a clapped out 200,000 mile Camry or Civic for $1500-2000.

Not even. At least in my area, any car that runs and isn't rusted out (read: you can see the ground) is $3000. Mileage doesn't seem to matter, if it runs and drives, it's worth at least $2500. Not rusted apart? $3000. Gone are the days of $1500-2000 driving cars, especially a Honda or Toyota. I also live in the rust belt though.

Anything is better than new so I say yes it’s good. Especially since it has all the records and everything. Just inspect it before you buy I’d go for it.

Seems a bit over the top? Worn but worn out?

Is there a need to keep a pedestrian vehicle in tip-top shape, as delivered by the factory, for piddling around town and other pedestrian pursuits where 0-60 runs and max cornering g's don't matter?

There is new, there is unsafe and then there is a big area of "good enough" that exists between.
I guess "good condition" is relative to the owner's desire, budget and the vehicle's intended use. For all practical purposes, an older vehicle may only need to be "safe to drive" and cosmetic/mechanical issues may not be a consideration.

If the reason you are picking in age/mileage is because this all you can afford to buy RUN! Myself I would pay up to $1200/year to keep it running and not think much of it.

I guess "good condition" is relative to the owner's desire, budget and the vehicle's intended use. For all practical purposes, an older vehicle may only need to be "safe to drive" and cosmetic/mechanical issues may not be a consideration.
Sounds like my fleet. I've taken to using Rustoleum for touchups on my daily--the clearcoat failed years ago (before I got it) but it was meant to rack up miles. Wife's car was bought to likewise rack up miles and to get trashed by the kids. NH road salt will be the death of them all, eventually the miles will be too high to justify any repair, not with rust lurking.

Back