High Mileage Explorer V8, Which M1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I just joined but have been reading these forums for a while now. I just got a 1996 Ford Explorer 5.0L V8 with 85,000 miles on it. My plan is to Auto RX the engine and trans and then change all fluids to Mobil 1 synthetic. My question now is I have been reading alot that M1 5w30 is very stable in the summer and with extended drain intervals and better in the winter, but it is common practice to change to a thicker oil as you get to higher miles. Which viscosity should i be going with to make this engine last? Should I go with the 5w30 because it is better at startup and in the winter or should i go with the 10w30 because of the higher milage and not worry about startup or winter? Also I see people talking about cold cranking viscosity instead of pour point but where are they getting this information from. I can't seem to find it on any oil. Thanks for the help

[ September 18, 2003, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: SR77 ]

If you want to "play it safe", changing the Mobil 1 at 6 month drain interval would be no problem. If you want the 5w-30 for the cold weather, go November to April. With the 10w-30, go May to October.

Just a thought.

Cold Cranking Simulator: The CCS measures an apparent viscosity in the range of 500 to 200,000 cP. Shear rate ranges with engine cranking data at low temperatures. The SAE J300 viscosity classification specifies the low-temperature viscometric performance of motor oils by CCS limits and MRV requirements.

Mobil 1 Specs

Al, these are 5/95 specs...and I don't think they refer to the SS formulation either...I recall these being European market specs...

SR77,

Assuming your engine is healthy (e.g. doesn't already have an oil consumption problem) you can use M1 5W30 year round with confidence. I have a Ford Taurus with the Vulcan 3.0L and I have used M1 0W30 year round with no problems (-10º to 90+º). I will tell you that driving at 6000' plus on steep hills at 90ºF (including cruising at 70-80 mph) is a pretty good test of motor oil; it did fine...and that version of 0W30 was not as good as the current version of 5W30. Go for it!

PS At the time I used it, my Taurus (which I still drive) had 75,125 to 89,500 miles on it.

PPS Almost forgot...
welcome.gif

[ September 18, 2003, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Thanks everyone for the replys. Why do people say to switch to a 10w30(or High Mileage Dino) when you get to higher mileage? I understand that the engine tolerences get larger but is there a point at which you are suppose to switch or should I be using the 5w30 up until I start seeing oil consumption and then switch to a thicker oil. How much consumption would be too much(ex. 1 qt at X miles)? Also where or what should I be looking for when i am trying to find the cold cranking viscosity of an oil. Do most manufacturers give you this info. thanks again

SR77,

HM oils were supposedly (I say supposedly, because anymore you don't know what is a genuine effort by companies to fill and need and what is an effort to create a perception of need) to address issues in older higher-mileage cars: e.g leaking seals, worn rings, build-up in the engine, etc. If your engine is healthy, there is no need to go to a HM oil at a specific mileage. I would only use them if you don't want to use a synthetic but want "something more" than a "bare bones" dino or your engine is "starting to show its age"; I WOULD use them instead of a synthetic blend. How much consumption is too much? Loaded question...it depends on the motor and the driver's tolerance. My cars don't use any noticeable quantity between changes so if they started consuming 1 quart every change I would think something was going on...1/2 qt or less I wouldn't worry about it. But that's my engines. Maybe someone else will answer who has a rule of thumb like, if consumption goes up by X% then it indicates something is going on. For those oil companies that post it (many do) the cold cranking numbers on in the tech data for each of their oils.

quote:

Al, these are 5/95 specs...and I don't think they refer to the SS formulation either...I recall these being European market specs...

Whatever specs they are there really good! They are better then the specs. now. Check out the NOAK voalitility and HT/HS.
shocked.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back