high Mileage 4.6, use 15w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my 94 mercury grand marquis 4.6 has 170,000 miles on it
It burns some oil but not real bad, it seems to get worse on hot days, esp when I am pulling my bass boat on the highway (no overdrive used when pulling). I also notice that the first 1000 miles on fresh oil change it burns less, the more miles on the oil the worse it gets. current oil is regular penz dino 10w30

think motorcraft 15w40 oil would be the way to go in summer? note I do mostly highway driving, not short trips.

Hmmm...a 4.6 modular with 170,000 miles on it. Are you the original owner? If you are, care to share the maintenance history?

I've been using 10w40 in a 92 4.6 with 111k, but when its cold for the first two miles sometimes it'll make a loud ticking/knocking sound... not sure if it's a lifter or what, so I'll be putting thinner oil in it to see if that makes a difference.

At the most use a 10W-30. 10W-40 is too thick for a modular even with a mere 170,000 miles. We don't drive european cars.

Use Mobil 1 10W-30. We've had our 97 F-150 (220,000 miles) on the afore mentioned for 145,000 miles with no-problems.

5,000 mile oil changes w/ FL-820S filters are the ticket.

quote:

Originally posted by Digital2k2:
I've been using 10w40 in a 92 4.6 with 111k, but when its cold for the first two miles sometimes it'll make a loud ticking/knocking sound... not sure if it's a lifter or what, so I'll be putting thinner oil in it to see if that makes a difference.

I'm sure it does
smile.gif
Sure it will
smile.gif

The topic engine needs a HM oil in a 5w-30 or 10w-30 summer . Stick with the yellow bottle Pennzoil as a winter oil where you live is my opinion . You still need oil to the top quickley.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Not in Minn/Wis.

You could possibly use a synthetic 15W-40, but not a dino.

A guy still needs to take the Vi at 20 and 40c into consideration .

Any O' spin one puts on it 80@ 40c is verging on too thick for that engine where it's operated .

Thats why the Mobil Truck n Suv is such a poor choice for a large percentage of modern engines . That 5w gives some type security thats not there IMO based on MRV and Vi at lower temps .

Sure I agree MB - but he was kinda asking within the "narrow" range of 15W-40. So I just gave him a 15W-40 only answer. I stick by it....in general no dino 15W-40, but maybe in the summer a synthetic 15W-40 will work.

I was in a late model grand marquis cab yesterday down in DC. had 187k and ran smooth and seemed fine. didn't ask what he used though.

Id think that you would most benefit from a high mileage oil, like pennzoil HM. This ought to cut back on the loss of oil.

I'd say to experiment. in the summer, you might try the 15w-40, it ought to work OK. But def. not in the winter. I think the HM oils are your best shot, with maybe good old pennzoil in the winter to help at startup.

JMH

I have had the car for 4 years bought with a 115,000 miles on it. it runs like a top very smooth running quite motor, not hardy a tick on a cold startup after sitting for a few days.

I have used dino 5w30 or 10w30 in winter and 10w30 dino in summer since I have owned it. I was thinking of using 15w40 in summer only.

it's not burning that much oil actually very little when I am babying it on the high way and not pulling my bass boat. but when it's hot outside and i'm pulling my 2000 pound bass boat for 100 too 200 miles on the highway at a time it can burn a quart fairly quicky like a quart in 400 miles, unsure were the oil is going by, rings or valve guides?, I never see it smoke.
heat, load, rpm's and miles since oil change seem to be the factors cuasing the oil burning. The motor is dry, doesn't leak a drop period.

on a side note I had a mercury cougar with 4.6 motor with 120,000 miles, I bought the car when it had a fresh oil change and it Had motorcraft oil in it from the sticker, unsure what weight oil. i drove it 3500 miles before changing the oil since the oil stayed clean. during those 3500 miles I never had to add oil. I then changed oil, put dino 10w30 penz and a napa gold filter. well after about 1000 miles on the new oil problems started. and then the motor start knocking on startup, it sounded like a rod bearing for a few seconds. it only knocked after sitting over night. the hotter the temp was the worse it was, if it was a cold day and night it was better (August was cold here in WI). I noticed the penz oil turned dirty quick and when I drained (a cold drian)it was very thin.
well next ( late august) I put motorcraft dino 15w40 and a walmart motorcraft filter in it, knock was gone period. but after a cold night I did hear a little timing chain noise( I think)for a few seconds on start up. I have noticed that the oil temp is very hot in the cougar, I pulled over at a wayside to check the oil, wow the stick tip temp was the hotest I every felt in my life, the temp was 50 degree F outside and i was criusing down the interstate at 65 mph.
it appears to me the penz dino 10w30 couldn't take the heat and sheared down, the motor never really burned any oil before, but after 1000 miles on the penz it starting burning some oil and i had to add. i sold the cougar after putting 1000 miles on the 15w40

[ September 25, 2004, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: MillerMan ]

"unsure were the oil is going by, rings or valve guides?, I never see it smoke"

Check the inside oy your tailpipe, if is black, sooty looking the oil is probably getting by the rings and you are burning it.
Dave

yep the tail pipe is black and sooty

the grand marquis will burn very little oil( almost zero oil unless I am pulling my boat)the first 1000 miles but after that it burns more and more till I change again. I usually go thru about 2 quarts total in 3500 miles, more when pulling.

I have a 91 Toyota V6 I bought new and I use 5w 30 or 10w 30 in the Winter time but when it turns Summer I change over to Chevron Delo 15W 40. Been doing it for 5 years so far no problems.

In the summer many Xw 30s have almost no oil pressure in my truck at idle. They also burn about a qt in 3000 miles. The 15w 40 is still at almost full on the dip stick after 3000 miles. Oil pressure is still good after a 1500 miles unlike some of the Xw 30s.

I to use a trailer to haul bikes around. I do go back to Xw 30 when the night time temperatures get down below 45 deg. F.

quote:

Originally posted by mf150:
At the most use a 10W-30. 10W-40 is too thick for a modular even with a mere 170,000 miles. We don't drive european cars.

ford used M1 15w50 as factory fill on the 2000 cobra R, which is a modular. if you look at the shop manuals, the 2000 cobra R doesn't have different bearing clearances anywhere in the engine, as compared to any other modular.

so ford seems to think a 15w50 isn't "too thick."

-michael

having read the replies since I posted last, I have a few things to say:

first, you have pretty good experience using the 15w-40 in the 4.6 from before, so I would definitely give it a try. Maybe compliment it with a few oil analyses, to determine if its protecting your engine as well.

second, I have read in owner's manuals before that oil consumption may increase under heavy lads or while pulling a trailer. So I dont think its that abnormal, especially considering that it doesnt use any the rest of the time

third, it seems that some engines just don't do as well with certain oils. My chevy truck, for example does best on 5 or 10w-30 pennzoil. M1 shows no benefit and actually higher wear metals. Maybe go with motorcraft oils, which are quite good quality and cheap at wal-mart.

fourth, motorcraft oil comes in a super-duty 10w-30, for use in the diesels in the winter. This may be an excellent fit for your engine, likely tougher, less likely to be consumed, and with a beefier additive package which may help while under the load of towing.

I think there was one other point that I wanted to type in, but I cant remember...

Looking back at all I just typed, Id say to switch to motorcraft oils first, and try to get the 10w-30 super-duty (even if you have to buy it from the $tealer. also, its probably smart to reduce your oil change interval when towing regardless.

JMH

well I had walmart motorcraft diesel 15w40 in my other ford 4.6 for only 1000 miles, unsure how it would work in the long run.

I have considered switching to motorcraft oil 10w30 on my next oil change.

on a side note with the cougar . I wonder if the napa gold filter was also a problem too, maybe that filter was draining when it sat overnight adding to the problem????????????????? that's one reason I also switch filter brand not just oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back