High mileage 03 MR2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I have a 2003 Toyota MR2 that I purchased with 144k miles. It runs great. I've changed the oil once with I believe Pennzoil conventional. It is my daily driver, but I do go WOT occasionally, and take it to autocross. I live in Orlando Florida, so it does get hot here. I've been looking to put decent oil in it, but with the higher mileage I'm not sure. Should I start with synthetic? Like maybe Pennzoil Platinum? Or stick with conventional, like Castrol GTX?

Welcome to BITOG!

Is your car equipped with an oil pressure gauge?

I would certainly be using a synthetic oil and OP notwithstanding I think Pennzoil Platnium 5W-30 would be a good choice.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Welcome to BITOG!

I would certainly be using a synthetic oil and OP notwithstanding I think Pennzoil Platnium 5W-30 would be a good choice.

No, it doesn't. However I'm thinking of putting together a small oil cooler setup, with a pressure sensor sometime in the near future. I've heard good things about PP.

Go to Pennzoil Platinum. Change it after 2500 miles to "rinse" the engine. The oil will likely get dark very quickly with the PP because it is cleaning. Then i would do every 5k when your racing in the summer. During the winter time do every 7.5k since your abusing oil less.

I would certainly be going synthetic if you are using it for autocross.

Not sure what viscosity you would need but Caterhams opinion seems a decent choice.

You could always consider Amsoil 5w30 ASL, Redline 5w30 or Silkolene Pro S 5w30 which is an Ester Synthetic.

Or perhaps Motul 8100 Eco-Nergy 5w30 it is fairly cheap in the UK.

Of those perhaps Redline and Amsoil are more readily available.

But for autocross use I would also consider the ester synth for better protection.

If your gonna pay $11/qt for a ester synthetic use Redline. It provides much more protection than Amsoil, however it doesnt not have Amsoils extended performance qualities.

Personally, i autocross on Pennzoil Ultra. I do about 10 events per year. I change my oil every 3750 as the book says.

Not being up on Penzoil products.

Is Ultra better than Platinum?

Are Silkolene products (now part of Fuchs) available in the US or are they pretty rare?

Originally Posted By: bigjl
Not being up on Penzoil products.

Is Ultra better than Platinum?

Are Silkolene products (now part of Fuchs) available in the US or are they pretty rare?

Yes Ultra is better, about $5-7 more for a 5qt jug. Some walmarts carry it. Ultra is not marketed as a Extended Performance oil, but could easily be one.

Originally Posted By: demetri90
Welcome to BITOG!

No, it doesn't. However I'm thinking of putting together a small oil cooler setup, with a pressure sensor sometime in the near future. I've heard good things about PP.

So you've got an oil temp' gauge?
Why do you feel you need an oil cooler? Certainly not for autocrossing.

Originally Posted By: demetri90
Welcome to BITOG!

So you've got an oil temp' gauge?
Why do you feel you need an oil cooler? Certainly not for autocrossing.

Don't have anything for oil, besides the factory pressure switch. I might do a track day sometime soon. Pennzoil Platinum is readily available at Walmart for $25 for a 5qt jug, I would get the Ultimate, but they are out of stock it seems.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigjl

There was a distributor here for the Silkolene products when they were still branded as such (I believe it was Essex Parts or something, and they had a Union Jack as part of their logo).

But GOOD LUCK in trying to find Fuchs Titan GT1 XL oils here, because it is as if they do NOT exist!!!!!!!!
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back