High mile 96 LT1 oil?

At least 200K and seemingly happy and using no oil on plain Rotella 15w40 and whatever filter is handy via the previous owner since 2008. Iron head if it matters.
Little lifter noise on cold start, I suspect it does not need that thick an oil (especially in Oklahoma winters) but I'm not prepared to go full synthetic 0w30 or such.
Jaguar didn't really understand how oil pressure gauges worked apparently so I can't tell you atm what it's running but I suspect it's fine.
Suggestions? It's a roller cam motor so I don't think ZDDP or what have you is super important? I'm a bit out of the oil loop.

I'm not opposed to that; I use it in a couple of gas and diesel cars in the fleet, have for ages.

One variable is this one is going from living in a semi climate-controlled garage to
living outside, over the winter in Oklahoma, it gets pretty chilly. One of the Rotella cars
I have I switch to a 10w40 in the winter for a little better cold start flow.
Rotella makes a 10w40 non synthetic, but I don't know anything about it.
When I start hearing cold start noise before it's even really cold I tend to wonder if a lighter oil
might be in order?

I prefer to run stout flagship oils, something with stringent approvals like Porsche A40 or MB 229.5. From a 49cc Honda Ruckus single-banger, to V8 in the Toyota Tundra and Hyundai Genesis.
-Rotella T6 5W-40/0W-40 do not meet those approvals, but are still OK oils. In comparison to the following oils, T6 line up does fall short on its add packs and abilities. Only offering it as it may be an easier mental transition to make from Rotella T4 15W-40.
-Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 is a better and cheaper option in my opinion though.
-Mobil 1 FS 5W-40 is tad thicker overall, still should work with the climate.
-Quaker State Euro 5W-40 is the cheapest usually, same performance for less money.
-Castrol Edge 0W-40 or 5W-40 are good options. But I usually only resort to it if M1 or QS aren't available.

Any of these (and more others) will work great in that engine. I guess the real question is which one will help you sleep better at night?
Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-40?

I'd really like to put Pennzoil high mileage synthetic in it as I do with the 75K 3L Lebaron and the 250K 04 Town Car, but I don't trust the old chevy mill to not leak like a sieve, even though I know that's technically an old wife's tale, it'd be a bear to fix. I'd feel better if I know the oil pressure, just ordered a new oil pressure sending unit to see if it will start offering meaningful information. Failing that I have an oil pressure gauge kit in the shop I think.

I'm not opposed to that; I use it in a couple of gas and diesel cars in the fleet, have for ages.

One variable is this one is going from living in a semi climate-controlled garage to
living outside, over the winter in Oklahoma, it gets pretty chilly. One of the Rotella cars
I have I switch to a 10w40 in the winter for a little better cold start flow.
Rotella makes a 10w40 non synthetic, but I don't know anything about it.
When I start hearing cold start noise before it's even really cold I tend to wonder if a lighter oil
might be in order?
Cold start noise is rarely if ever due to the oil as long as the winter rating is appropriate for the climate. An oil with a 10W winter rating (regardless of base stock composition) is appropriate for above 0F. Below that one with a 5W rating is appropriate down to about -30. It's not about flow, as long as the pump can pump the oil will flow. It's about cranking and pumpability.

Back