High Milage Oils on Low Milage Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mitsu_Joe

I don’t know if your american 10w30 or 0w20 HM oils contain those high amounts though, I highly doubt it, because I never heard of a 20/30 weight motor oil with lots of ZDDP.

MaxLife here as well as PPHM and M1HM/M1EPHM are now API SN-rated and have lower amounts of ZDDP to protect cats - especially with the propensity of some engines *cough*Toyota I4s*cough* to burn oil as they get older. MaxLife blend also carries the API starburst, and so do the all the Castrol HM oils. I think Edge High Mileage also meets dexos1 gen2.

Interestingly enough, the US/Canada/Mexico M1HM in 10W-30/10W-40 meets ACEA A3/B3 and the 5W-30 grade meets A5/B5. VSML - the new synthetic MaxLife now meets D1G2 specs.

I feel if a HM oil meets new car specs(with the API starburst and a GM dexos1 approval), I don't see the problem using in a new car. There might be a touch of ester or another seal swell agent but not enough to cause detrimental effects and it that was true, it certainly won't pass dexos testing.

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why-the-...leage-challenge

"Available in several viscosity grades, Mobil 1 High Mileage motor oil can help engines – new and old"

All of the available information you find from both Valvoline and Mobil do suggest you can use HM oils in new engines. I'm not sure this was always the case. I have to wonder if they stopped using seal "swellers" and started using added seal "conditioners" as a replacement.

Valvoline MaxLife FS is dexos G2 approved and API SN Plus. Mobil 1 is not.

I've heard conflicting information was to whether they use swellers or conditioners. Valvolline claims what they use does not cause seals to swell. FWIW.

Originally Posted By: buster

"Available in several viscosity grades, Mobil 1 High Mileage motor oil can help engines – new and old"

All of the available information you find from both Valvoline and Mobil do suggest you can use HM oils in new engines. I'm not sure this was always the case. I have to wonder if they stopped using seal "swellers" and started using added seal "conditioners" as a replacement.

I've heard conflicting information was to whether they use swellers or conditioners. Valvolline claims what they use does not cause seals to swell. FWIW.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing Mobil 1, but come on. Who can drive an average speed of 65 mph for half a million miles? lol IMO that takes a lot of the real world useful data from the test and shoots it in the foot.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing Mobil 1, but come on. Who can drive an average speed of 65 mph for half a million miles? lol IMO that takes a lot of the real world useful data from the test and shoots it in the foot.

My BiL and others from small towns that work in big cities … his transmission was done at 400k … but think that GM engine would of made 500k on Mobil … main seal leaked … no HM oil … could of/should of? Maybe
My driver in the EU … makes endless RT’s between airport and the capital 100 KM away … MB did 745k miles on M1 0w40 … traded car … he never tried HM oil … but the car both burned some and leaked a bit … could of/should of …? Maybe

I agree that was a weak test. It was also in a Toyota, one of the best engine makers in the world.

Originally Posted By: 4WD

My BiL and others from small towns that work in big cities … his transmission was done at 400k … but think that GM engine would of made 500k on Mobil … main seal leaked … no HM oil … could of/should of? Maybe
My driver in the EU … makes endless RT’s between airport and the capital 100 KM away … MB did 745k miles on M1 0w40 … traded car … he never tried HM oil … but the car both burned some and leaked a bit … could of/should of …? Maybe

I think using a HM around 50K + isn't a bad idea for preventative measures. Keeps seals in good shape.

Originally Posted By: 4WD

I think using a HM around 50K + isn't a bad idea for preventative measures. Keeps seals in good shape.

No reason one can’t run a single OCI once in a while … my 2010 5.3L has that perfect tiny seal weeping (nothing on the ground) … but I do put HM in once in a while …

Originally Posted By: wemay
No test that runs a car for that many miles is "weak", imo.

True, that is a lot of miles regardless.

I agree. There was a guy on here that worked for an oil company that would start using HM oils around 50k miles. There was another guy that would always add a qt of HM oil to boost the seal conditioners a bit. Not a bad idea at all.

Originally Posted By: csandste
If I was allowed to change my own oil without the condo gods descending on me with wrath I'd probably buy one of those new cheap synthetics.

As it is now, I find MaxLife blend worth the extra $10 or so if I get the right coupon at my oil change place and have had very good luck with it on lower mileage cars--think it's get a better add pack than VWB. My "bought from Hertz and pray" Soul is doing well with MaxLife @ 44,000 mi. Nothing scientific to base it on but I'm planning on doing 6000 mile change intervals with MaxLife but might drop it to 5000 with VWB.

Have you considered one of those DIY garage shops? It may come out slightly more expensive in the end, but you get your oil of choice and peace of mind knowing the drain plug is tight.

Originally Posted By: wemay
No test that runs a car for that many miles is "weak", imo.

I wouldn't call it weak, but it has no useful meaning for real world use either. I'd bet AFE, regular Mobil 1, PP, PU, Edge, or any of the other quality oil brands could do the same thing under those near perfect conditions. I'm sorry to say it proves nothing to me, just advertising hype.
49.gif

I agree. There was a guy on here that worked for an oil company that would start using HM oils around 50k miles. There was another guy that would always add a qt of HM oil to boost the seal conditioners a bit. Not a bad idea at all.

And for a longer run with HM oil:

Originally Posted By: Zee09
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
If you don't have leaks or oil consumption I wouldn't use a HM oil. A good oil has all the additives needed to properly protect and maintain an engine in good condition. If/when you have problems then give a HM oil a shot. I have a vehicle over 30 years old now, and it has never seen a drop of HM oil. At the moment I have no issues that would warrant it. Having said that you can use a HM oil in a brand new car if you desire to.

Why? I've used it off and on since my Corolla has had 66K miles on it has never been an issue sometime HM oils are what's on sale. I've been doing this for over 6 years now. I don't always use it when I've switched back to non HM oil there has never been an issue.

It won't hurt the car. As I said he can use it in a new car if he chooses too. I never bothered with HM oils, I was always able to get deals on the others, and never felt the need for a HM oil. There's nothing wrong with what you're doing either. Different strokes for different folks.

No issue with demars response. Why put a fix to it if it ain't broke.
He said he never felt the need to use it. I haven't yet either but that's not saying it will destroy your engine.
Sometimes it is so cheap I've been tempted to use it in OPE.

That's the point and with a rebate its even cheaper.

I switched over to a HM oil on my 2008 Santa Fe with no consumption or leak issues. In order to help prevent the seals from getting to that point. It's low mileage for a 10-11 year old 2.7L Hyundai engine. I've ran 5w20 Castrol Edge most of it's life. I went over to GTX HM & soon will be going to Maxlife next OCI.

That is somewhat concerning regarding ZDDP. One of the things that GTX High Mileage claims is some type of patent that cleans the Catalytic Converter instead of damaging them. I wonder if Castrol doesn't use ZDDP in GTX HM. I plan on keeping the Hyundai Santa Fe for a while. Just did a lot of work. New transmission fluid, replaced some faulty parts. Don't care to be dealing with CC issues down the road if it can be avoided. Was thinking of going to Maxlife.

Originally Posted By: Mitsu_Joe
Valvoline MaxLife (at least the thicker viscosities they sell over here) contain lots of ZDDP. An additive that isnt commonly used that much in modern motor oils anymore because if burned in great amount it damages catalytic converters over time. It used to be fairly common 20-30 years ago because it forms a thin protective layer of ZDDP that covers the bearings, shafts ecetera. This is especially important for older flat tappet OHV engines that put extreme stress on the camshaft, have you ever tried compressing a valvespring with your finger? One would probably end up breaking his thumbs instead of compressing them.

The difference between a modern oil and the Maxlife with bigger amounts of ZDDP can be clearly seen.

Shell Rotella and Petronas Synthium 1000 also contain higher numbers of ZDDP.

I don’t know if your american 10w30 or 0w20 HM oils contain those high amounts though, I highly doubt it, because I never heard of a 20/30 weight motor oil with lots of ZDDP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back